Premed 101 Forums

What the...?

Guest PanjabiMD

Guest PanjabiMD
Scientists 'raise the dead' in experiment

12:44pm 27th June 2005

Zombies rising from the dead sound like the stuff of horror films and nightmares - but it could soon be reality.

Scientists have discovered a way to bring dead dogs back to life.

Using a so-called suspended animation technique, they emptied the dead animals' veins of blood and filled them with ice-cold saline solution to preserve the tissues and organs.

The animals had no heartbeat or brain activity and were classed as being clinically dead.

The saline solution was then replaced with fresh blood and electric shocks were used to restart the heart. The dogs appeared unharmed by their suspension and had suffered no brain damage

Scientists at the Safar Centre in Pittsburgh hope to use the technique on humans within a year and are in talks with hospitals about trials on trauma patients.

They believe it could save the lives of people who have suffered massive blood loss, such as battlefield casualties or stabbings victims.

'The results are stunning. They have these dogs with complete cardiac standstill for three hours and they recover to normality,' said trauma surgeon Dr Howard Champion.

The link is dead now...but here it is anyways.

Do you think this is real?

I read it and find it quite difficult to believe, but I want to here some other opinions!

Guest Silverbullet

That would be awesome

I personally don't want to live forever, but i'd love to be suspended for 100 or 400 years just to see what the future holds for humanity.

Guest UWOMED2005

I think, according to the results of this experiment, that 100 years would work out to be about 100 years less 3 hours too long!

Guest Silverbullet

While that is true, this COULD open the doors to something along those lines. Remember when cars were first invented they didn't go very far, broke down all the time and were more hassel than they were worth.

Hence, as time goes on the techonlogy could get better and my idea could happen!

Archived