Premed 101 Forums

Autobiographical Letters

Guest elaineli315

Guest elaineli315

Can anyone suggest what will be good to put on the autobiographical letter (applying to McGill) so it can stand out (what kind of things they like to see in those 3 pages)?

If I am also applying to UWO, they say if there is anything I want to bring to the attention of the committee, I can write a letter. Would it be good to do one similar to the McGill autobio. letter?

Is undergrad GPA 3.66 good enough to try McGill and UofT (all 4 years incl. I am now in my last year of MSc, trying to apply to as many CAN dental schools as possible)?

Thanks for help.

Guest happychica

Hi,

Just wondering if the deadline for applications to Mcgill is in January....

I havent started on my autobiographical letter yet....so I dont know what is good to put on that too....

I have a 3.75 GPA but I am an oop applicant...However, 3.66 isnt bad and doesnt hurt to try, especially if u'r a Quebec resident.....

Guest elaineli315

The deadline is actually Nov 15.

I am like you, an oop student, from Ontario. Do you know if they will disregard my worst year of undergrad if I am a second year masters student?

I think I will try McGill even though my marks are not high, and so I am worrying about what I should put on my autobiographical letter.

Guest happychica

hmm....yeah it is Nov 15....:o

if you want to know if they will disregard your worst year to be sure then call the admissions office....I have no idea.....some admissions offices are actually very helpful.......... universities like UBC and U of T disregard your worst year providing you took over 3 years and have at least 5 full credits in at least 2 years...

Guest LestatZinnie

i don't think mcgill disregards worst year because unlike some other schools you actually need to have a bachelor degree (rather than say 90 credits) to enter the program. but then the best thing to do would be ask them directly although the office can be slow to respond at times.

goodluck

Guest elaineli315

Thanks LestatZinnie,

Are you currently attending McGill? Do you mind giving me a hand on the content of the autobiographical letter?

Also, if that's ok, can you tell me the gpa and dat score you have to get in (do you know if there's any difference for oop students compare to Quebec residence)?

Guest LestatZinnie

gpa 3.85

dat: academic 26, pat 22, carving 24

you have decent stats. i think interview matters quite a bit as well as essay. i know people with lower stats than me but got in first round. shows again that numbers ain't everything, at least at mcgill. not sure about preference for oop. about 20% of my class is oop.

goodluck

Guest predent2003

Hi elaine,

I have submitted my essay to McGill. I think what's important in the essay is to have something that distinguish yourself from others. If you can relate these with dentistry, that would be better, but if not, anything that can make them feel that you would be an interesting person to meet, that'll be fine. At least that's what I think :)

For my essay, I gave a general overview of myself and I stress more about the experience I had in dentistry.

Hope to see you in the near future!

Guest elaineli315

Thanks very much, Predent2003.

You for sure gave me some direction on my essay. So nice that you have experience in dentistry. Do you mind telling what you did?

Guest predent2003

I did some volunteering work in a dental clinic, so I have some experience in the different kinds of dental works, making study model, bleaching trays...etc. It was fun!

I also did some research, which is always easy to relate to dentistry.

Archived