Premed 101 Forums

People who go into dent becuz they can't go to med

Guest LestatZinnie

Guest tantastic

So Sil

Since you decided once you were in nursing that you weren't going to that if not meds what would you have done if you had not gotten into meds?

Would you use your nursing degree for something else? Another career totally? What was it about nursing that made you change your mind about the profession?

Thanks for the input

Hey Tantastic:

Well all I am going to say is because it applies to me and not to the nursing profession. My sister is a nurse (very smart) and now a lot of my good friends are too. I think is a worthwhile profession in which a person can do a lot of good (with tha disclaimer at the beginning :P I can now tell you why)

I never felt challenged in nursing, I was bored a lot of the time. I need a career in which I can do something useful and that will keep me challenged, as well something related to health care. I though of going to law school and work for the government in the area of health care, maybe as a health care policy analyst. So if I did not get into meds I would have applied to meds and law for 2003 entry. I am glad I did not have to :D

Sil.

Guest UofCMeds2005

I can see both sides of the coin. Personally, I believe (this will be controversial - I apologize) when it comes to your career you have to be a little selfish - let me explain. I applied to chiro and med. Med was by far my first choice. I got into chiro first and I had a friend who was on the chiro wait list. She really really wanted to be a chiro. Unfortunately I got in and she was waitlisted. She kept pressuring me day in and day out to give up my spot to someone who really wanted it. The thing was if I did not get into med I did want it. I understood where she was comming from and I really felt for her. But I earned that spot. I also got a lot of flack from my friends when I accepted a spot at TO and uofC. For personal reasons, I felt that I could not make an informed choice by the deadline - I needed more time. That said I talked over the situation with both schools and they were okay with it. Why - they said that it was my spot and I earned it. I know this is going to sound b*tchy, but the reality is they chose me and even they there were tons of people on the wait list they were prepared to give me as much time as I needed to make my decision. I know people are going to jump down my throat when I say this and I may get myself into a lot of trouble but... Alot of my friends gave me a lot of grief at the time (they were waitlisted) but it was my spot not theirs. Not to say that they were not excellent canidates, derserving of a spot.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if someone gets a spot in dent/chiro or med school. They are not taking a spot away from someone else b/c that person never had one to begin with.

Guest newbee

You're a female aren't you?

It's so evident in your attitude and your attempt to justify your behavior to yourself.

One word for you my catty friend

Meow ;)

Guest marbledust

I agree with you UofCmeds2005. When you are offered a spot in any meds/dents/or any other professional program it is your spot until you decline it.

I went through the agony of the waitlist last year at Calgary for meds, but I never once considered that anybody was "taking away" my place. The people offered spots were considered better candidates than I was by the admissions committee. It would have been nice for me if more people had given up those spots, but it didn't work out. It just encouraged me to ensure I had a stronger application this year.

I also don't see a problem with applying to dent, chiro or anything else as a backup to med. There is nothing wrong with a person waiting to ensure they have a good career if the road to medicine doesn't work out for them.

And yes Newbee, I am a female :)

Guest UofCMeds2005

The waitlist is pure torture. I don't wish that on anyone. It is tough enough to wait until the deadline let alone a couple more months past it. One of my friends got into Ottawa the day before she wrote the MCAT in August. Needless to say she was happy - yet bitter that she studied for it for the entire summer (+ $1000 Kaplan course).

marble dust - Good Luck to you and your app. Here at Calgary we are studying for our last exam - endocrine and looking fwd to our summer electives. Also, we are in the process of preparing for you guys and very excited to meet the class of 2006 :) Right now I am trying to think of an animal to name you guys. As you may know each year is named after an animal (I am a candiru). Hmmm. what will you be :) Also, we are planning a very very fun O-week. Best of luck to you. Calgary is an awesome school and I hope to see you in August.

Guest marbledust

Thanks for wishing me good luck on my application UofCmeds2005. Of course I am stressed right out and don't think I can endure the wait much longer! Good luck to you on your endocrine exam :)

Any ideas for the 2006 class name yet? There have been some pretty cool names in the past few years. My boyfriend was a dugong (he graduated in 1999).

I hope to meet you in August! :)

Archived