Premed 101 Forums

OOP Decisions

Guest lovelyladylumps

Guest lovelyladylumps

Hey guys,

I have a few questions for any past or present OOP applicants:

1) Does anyone know if all decisions (accepted, rejected, or waitlisted) are mailed out at the same time (this year, the week of April 17th), or does it work like the Maratime decisions where only the accepted and rejected are mailed something while the deferred/waitlisted are sent an e-mail?

2) Will Dal only send out 9 OOP acceptance letters this week (because there are only 9 seats), or will they send out more than 9, assuming that some people will not accept the offer?

3) Will any of the 50 (OOP) interviewed candidates actually receive rejection letters this week, or does Dal simply make a ranked waitlist with all of those who did not receive an offer of one of the first 9 seats? Since they ended up accepting #45 on their OOP waitlist last year, I am thinking that perhaps they did not send out any (or at least not many) rejection letters to the OOP interviewed.

I suppose it's a little late to be asking all these questions (as we will pretty much find out this week where we all stand), but if anyone has any insight, please feel free to post a response!

Guest Madz25

1) They've reviewed ALL OOP files so I don't think they need to defer any. The reason they defer Maritime files is because they haven't reviewed ALL Maritime files and they aren't 100% sure where that particular applicant stands so they review the file once again after completing all other maritime files. For that reason, I doubt any OOPs will get deferrals.

2) They most likely will only send out 9. If they send out, say 10 or 12, and somehow all those people decide to go to Dalhousie - then they'll be over the quota. Unlikely scenario but nevertheless, it made the point lol.

3) Don't know about that one...if they go through almost 50 OOPs then maybe there are no rejections, unless you completely bombed your interview. I guess you'll have to wait and see!

Guest HaliEngineer

Nope - For some reason my post didn't come through

I have been talking about this with one of my lab-mates here, he is an OOP applicant. We figure that there is likely a 9-offers - 41-waitlist spots system, just in case. (If we look at the old forum, we get 3 pre-interview rejections, but no after-interview rejections...although this could be skewed because alot of people dont' discuss the rejections.)

I agree with Madz - they probably send out the bare minimum acceptances, and then work from the waitlist...

Which brings up another question - does this apply to the In-province people as well? If so, why do they bother with the waitlist? I figure that they likely just offer enough spots (81?) and then if one of those 81 declines the offer, they go to #1 on the waitlist.

I think this seems to be more realistic than over-offering, simply because it seems that there really is a "fixed class size" where other admissions (i.e. undergrad first year) aren't as restricted, and a fluctuation of a few people here or there won't significantly affect the long-term outcome...

Guest JewelLeigh

For OOP applicants, only 9 acceptances will be sent out. I am not sure if those on the waitlist are informed that they have been waitlisted right away. I am also not sure if all of the remaining 41 are placed on the list or if only a portion are and the rest receive unsuccessful letters.

For maritimers, there are only 81 spots offered. The 81 spots are filled and a waitlist set with the next best applicants after the 81. It is only used if/when 1 of the original 81 decline the offer. With respect to timeline, the waitlist is set after all files have been reviewed and the deferrals re-reviewed (end of June). I do not know how many people are placed on this list. Applicants are informed when they are placed on the waitlist (by letter I think) and I believe are told their position on the waitlist. This list does not generally move very much.

Guest lovelyladylumps

I called the admissions office today. They said all non-Maritime letters will be sent by the end of this week. That means offers of admission, waitlist, and rejections (and I asked her specifically if there are rejection letters and she said yes). So there you have it...good luck everyone!

Guest Rheticus

yeah, I got the same info from tracy yesterday. I have a pharm exam tomorrow and can't seem to study for it, too nervous. Here is to me at least getting on the waitlist, and all other OOP applicants going somewhere else! (wait, is that selfish? ;) )

Guest Calgarian

I'm an OOP applicant and am #4 on the waitlist. I'm guessing the list will move tons when all other decisions across the country are released on/around May 15th.

Archived