Premed 101 Forums

Housing and Childcare in Halifax

Guest jpmac

Guest jpmac

Happy Easter!

I am looking for some advice/info re. schools, childcare, and where to live while going to Dal. I have been accepted for this fall and now that the excitement has settled I am left with many questions!

We have a daughter who will be three this fall and she is our primary concern - we would be grateful if anyone has knowledge about good (great) daycares/preschools or private nannies. Also, our son will be starting primary this fall and we know nothing about the school districts in the greater Halifax area.

We are thinking Halifax is where we would like to live - Is this a good idea or does anyone have any suggestions re. alternative locations that would be suitable for a family - i.e. good schools, safe neighborhood etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Guest Mateui

If you're looking for a place to live outside of downtown Halifax you should check out Kingswood and other locations around Hammonds Plains. These neighbourhoods are really peaceful and quiet and ideal for families. It takes about 20-25min to get to downtown Halifax on weekday mornings. There's a new school that just opened this year in Kingswood that takes kids from primary - grade 6. I can also think of about 3 Day Cares really close by.

You can check out these sites for more info:

www.kingswood.ca/

www.hammondsplains.ca/

All the best!

hi jpmac! congrats on being accepted, i am a dal hopeful as well, but am still waiting to hear... :D

i have been at dal for 6 years now, so i've looked for lots of places to live! i have found the dal off-campus housing site extremely helpful... in fact, i have discovered all 3 of my apartments there.

the link to this site is www.ancillaries.dal.ca/de...?mn=1.9.51 it has a great option of searching the distance you would like to live from campus, which is helpful if you don't know the area well enough to recognize street names.

i hope this helps you... in terms of daycare, i don't have children yet. however, i have a friend who is taking an early childhood education course at a pretty reputable school in halifax. you might try contacting the school (st. joseph's college) at (902) 423-7114 to see if they have any recommendations.

Guest Mimicat65

Hi jpmac,

Welcome to Dal! I don't have any specific advice for you (my kids are in school outside the city) but there are several people in my class with children, so I will try to find someone with some info to help you out.

Archived