Premed 101 Forums

summer courses

Guest mackenziemarshall

Guest mackenziemarshall

does anybody know how summer courses work in the GPA considerations? for example, if you took courses in the summer between 3rd and 4th year, does that count into the calculation for the last 2 years? Also, does the AdCom discuss your entire transcript, or do they only discuss and use the last 2 years in the consideration?

-Thanks guys!

Guest JewelLeigh

I am not 100% sure, but since Dal's requirement is for "two consecutive years of fulltime study" I would assume that summer courses, unless as taken as part of a full load during the summer term, are not included in the gpa calculation, sine they are not fulltime. This is in keeping with the policies of most medical schools as far as I know.

In response to your 2nd question, I know for sure that the AdCom discusses the GPA average for your last 2 consecutive years. Keep in mind that the GPA for EACH of these two years must be above 3.3 for Maritime applicants and 3.7 for OOPs (on 4.3 scale). Once this cut-off is met, the average of those two years is calculated and used in the adcom discussion of your file.

Edit: Please keep in mind that the adcom has access to your entire transcript as part of your file, but when a gpa is calculated to be used as a single number during discussion (i.e. "What was his gpa?" "It was 3.5."), it is the average of the last two consecutive years.

Good luck :)

• 2 months later...
Guest debbieL22

Hey JewelLeigh,

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but based on your previous post, does that mean the AdCom DOES use full-time summer courses in the GPA calculation for the last 2 years? For example, if an applicant met the cutoff for both of the last 2 years, and also took full time summer courses (i.e., 4 half courses or 2 full ones in the summer), will these courses be included in the average GPA quoted for the last 2 years at the discussion?

Thanks for all your help on this board JL! :)

-Debbie

Guest JewelLeigh

Okay, I clarified today. For admissions purposes, the fall and winter terms are considered, provided they were fulltime. Fulltime is 5 courses per semester. Thus, even if you took 4 courses in the summer, this is not fulltime, and you could not argue to include this. For the very very rare person who may have taken 5 courses in the summer and they want this semester to be considered, they will have to discuss this directly with admissions on a individual-case basis.

So...summary:

- 5 courses are required for a fulltime semester.

- default for GPA consideration are the fall and winter terms of the last two years

- summer courses by default are not considered

- in the RARE instance that someone feels that they took a fulltime summer semester (5 courses), they should contact admissions to discuss the POSSIBILITY (will depend on circumstances) of this semester being used in GPA calculation

Archived