Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Accepted!!!

Time-Stamp: 7:51 AM

wGPA: 3.93 (same as cGPA)

Stream: English

Geography: IP

Current Year: Just graduated

Interview: Thought it went terrible actually. I thought I stumbled on a few questions and came across as flustered more than once, so much that I'd cringe whenever thinking of interview day. I thought it would be a sure rejection. I even almost forgot to shake hands at the end, starting to turn for the door before one of the interviewers abruptly stuck her hand out to remind me. Just goes to show that a couple awkward moments don't make or break you!

On wait list at Mac which is my top choice, so I'm not sure whether or not I'll be accepting yet. I couldn't be happier, congrats to everyone else who got an acceptance!

ACCEPTED!!!!

Time stamp: 7:44am

GPA: 3.99

Stream:English

Current year: Graduated UG in October 2015

Interview: I think it went really well. My interviewers were really nice and we seemed to vibe really well. Ended with them saying they wished they had more time with me. But you never really know - I thought there were some things that maybe I could have answered better. 

So unbelievably excited as Ottawa is my first choice and my dream school!!!! 

Wait list - Bad

Time-stamp: 9:02 AM (Atlantic)

GPA: 3.99

Geography: OOP

EC: cancer drug synthesis/research, 5 years global health and development volunteering, 4 years working with children with disabilities, 4 years student government, research assistant for neurosurgeon, northern rural telemedicine research, competitive sports for whole life, etc.

Current year: Graduating

Interview: honestly thought it was one of my best interviews ever! Pretty disappointed with the result :(

I'm assuming it's almost impossible to get in off the bad wait list?

Result: Accepted

Time Stamp: 7:50 am

GPA: 3.94

EC: Quite varied. Several long term sports, volunteering with very vulnerable populations, operate my own business + several other long term employment positions. Almost no research experience.

Current year: 4th yr undergrad

Interview: Thought it went poorly and thought it was my worst one. The entire time the main interviewer kept giving me a look of "I can't believe he just said that" every time I would give an answer. 

Will likely be declining in favour of UofT

A little late but..

Good WL

Time Stamp: 7:59AM

wGPA: 3.98

Current Year: 4th year UG

Interview: A lot of push back but I think I handled it OK

EDIT: Accepted off the waitlist on May 25th! Good luck to all future applicants.

• 2 weeks later...

I only found this forum today..

WL-good : update: accepted 10ish am may 26

Gpa: 3.93

Year: 3rd year UG

Interview: I think the community member and dr liked me a lot, but the med student didn't. Could've answered some things better, but overall I think it went okay. A couple questions where I know I gave earth shatteringly amazing answers(lol) or so I thought... A couple I forgot to say some key points.

EC: varied (like everyone lol). I have more "creative/different" volunteer experiences than the typical premed, which is why I think I got an interview after 3rd year. Minimal research and minimal work experience.

Posting for use in later application cycles - good luck!

Result: Waitlist - bad (May 10)

Time Stamp: 8:02am

wGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 13/10/14
ECs: Work in a research lab (1 semester), cancer centre within a hospital (2 summers), orientation week leader and student society executive, co-authorship on one paper published, volunteering at a hospital for 3 years, shadowing a family doctor

Interview: Did not go very well, I think. I felt that I couldn't get through to the interviewers, and the panel style was challenging.
Year: UG 4th year

• 2 weeks later...

Result: Accepted from good wait list

Timestamp: 2:05pm May 31st 
Stream: French
Gpa: 3.66
Year: Graduated Undergrad

Interview: I think it went really well. Looking back I feel I missed a few important things, but overall felt good!

EC: ER volunteer, preschool volunteer, health records volunteer, research in various labs, course work and research in epidemiology. Steady work experience in various fields,

• 2 months later...

It's very late, but I thought I would add this for future applicants.

Result: Accepted

Time Stamp: 7:50 am

GPA: 3.98

EC: Heavy in Research, long-term volunteering and EC commitments

Current year: Graduated undergrad

Interview: Thought it went well, my panel was very nice and friendly.

• 8 months later...

Accepted!!

Time-stamp: 7:10 AM

GPA: 3.92

EC: Diverse. PM for details!

Current year: Graduated

Interview: Thought it relatively well, or at least decent! I really liked this format over my other panel interview (Western). Had a couple of hiccups, but also a few great answers!

Accepted!!!

Time-Stamp: 8:08am (Atlantic Time)

GPA: 3.92

Geography: OOP

EC: Lots of research, otherwise not the greatest.

Current Year: First year M.Sc. (finishing requirements in August)

Interview: Really didn't feel great about it. Examiners felt cold. But obviously went better than I thought!! :)

So excited to meet everyone in September!!! 

waitlist (how do i know if its good or bad?)

timestamp - 7:37AM (EST)

GPA - 3.97

Stream - English

Geography - IP (Ontario)

EC - minimal, random lab experience and student council

Current year - 4th year UG

Interview - wasn't anything special, first one so was hard to gauge myself!

any info on how waitlisting works and what the odds are? congrats to everyone who got accepted :D 

Waitlist (Good Waitlist? I think because it doesn't say "it is unlikely that you will receive an offer")

Time-Stamp: 7:37 AM

GPA: 3.95

EC: Lots, check interview thread

Current Year: Graduated UG

Interview: Felt good, messed up one question, but overall good.

Hopefully the waitlist moves a lot this year :).

waitlist (good)

timestamp - 7:38AM (EST)

GPA - 3.99

Stream - English

Geography - IP (Ontario)

EC - average

Current year - 4th year UG

Interview - A mix of good and bad responses

To the person above: if you see something like "it is unlikely that you will be offered a position," then it's a bad waitlist. Otherwise, it's a good (normal) waitlist.

Result: Good Waitlist

Time-Stamp: 7:38 AM

GPA: 3.93

EC: Pretty solid.

Current Year: Finished MSc

Interview: Felt good, interviewers were really warm. Actually a bit surprised as I thought this was one of my best interviews. Oh well!

Will likely be dropping off the WL to accept Toronto's offer :D. Hopefully if I were to have gotten off the WL, it goes to someone else!

waitlist (good) | edit: apparently there's no good waitlist or bad waitlist, damn

timestamp: 7:37 am

gpa: good

stream: english
ECs: mediocre according to my U of A app and other rejections

interview: the first part went VERY poorly, but I think I was able to keep my composure

bless up

Good waitlist

​Time: 7:38 AM

GPA: 3.983

​Stream: English

​ECs: Actually mediocre

​Interview: I thought it was a disaster, but in retrospect it wasn't quite THAT bad. See here. I DID however, forget my interview shoes. So I was in a nice suit, and after the interview a kind fellow interviewee pointed out, "Hey, nice Nike AFOs". Imagine the horror.

Result: Waitlist
Time-Stamp: 7:38 AM
wGPA: 3.99
EC: okay, mediocre to good
Current Year: 4th
Interview: Came out feeling really pumped, but after thinking about it more as time passed became more worried. Kept thinking that I could have or should have said something else... But oh well. I had friendly interviewers which made the whole experience pleasant.

Congratulations to all those that received an acceptance!