Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Bad Waitlist/Rejection

Quite a surprise, this one. I thought my interview went really really well. I was relaxed, to the point, and I made the interviewers laugh a few times. Seeing as admission is ~100% interview, I guess I completely mis-judged.

Geography etc.

Ontario Anglophone Resident.

Second time applying.

Marks

wGPA: 3.81

Interview

I thought it went really well; apparently, it didn't. There were some interesting questions, and I paused to think and give interesting answers. Maybe they felt my answers were too rehearsed? I have no idea. It's odd.

Accepted at Western. That's where I'm going. yeehaw!

I'm an Ontario resident

in Biology/Mathematics studies (3rd year undergrad applicant).

My GPA was 3.98

and my MCAT scores were: 36 S

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 15

Written Sample: S

I was waitlisted by Ottawa.

This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, Ottawa is my first choice...

Wow! Congrats!

Even if you don't get called this year, getting waitlisted in 3rd year is phenomenal! With those stats, I think you can look forward to a career in med. Keep up the spectacular work, whatever you're doing, you're getting it right.

I really didn't think I had much of a chance as a third year to begin with, so I can't complain...

again very nice - I'd see it is just a function of time of you now one way or another

I'm an Ontario resident

in Biology/Mathematics studies (3rd year undergrad applicant).

My GPA was 3.98

and my MCAT scores were: 36 S

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 15

Written Sample: S

I was waitlisted by Ottawa.

This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, Ottawa is my first choice...

In all honesty, I don't think it's just interview. I was accepted and I don't think my interview was that great... But my cgpa was 3.99 so I think that may have helped a bunch... just my thoughts

Bad Waitlist/Rejection

Quite a surprise, this one. I thought my interview went really really well. I was relaxed, to the point, and I made the interviewers laugh a few times. Seeing as admission is ~100% interview, I guess I completely mis-judged.

Geography

Ontario Resident.

Anglophone

Underserviced Area applicant.

Recent undergrad graduate.

Marks

cGPA: 3.76

wGPA: 3.81

Interview

I thought it went really well; apparently, it didn't. There were some interesting questions, and I paused to think and give interesting answers. Maybe they felt my answers were too rehearsed? I have no idea. It's odd.

EC's

Longterm commitments with music (freelance and volunteer). Worked with raising science literacy for school kids/general public. Exec on numerous clubs and spearheaded several community projects.

No research.

Other Results

Rejected from Queen's

Good waitlist at NOSM.

Accepted at Western. That's where I'm going. yeehaw!

Good waitlisted

cGPA- 3.8 something. wGPA would be similar.

MCAT - 11/13/11Q

Interviewed- Western Queens Calgary Ottawa

Accepted- Western and Queens

Good waitlisted at Ottawa, OOP waitlisted at Calgary

I was surprised to even be good waitlisted because I had very hard time answering my ethics question. (but the rest of the interview process up to the ethics question went well..)

I will be going to either Western or Queens.

Congrats to all of you who got accepted and good luck to the good waitlisters!

I'm an Ontario (non-ottawa) resident with a hon. BSc. from YorkU in Kinesiology & Health Science:

I was good waitlisted at Ottawa

I was accepted at Queens and University of Calgary

Also waitlisted at Western

cGPA was 3.78

wGPA somewhere around 3.85

Hey guys

Can you also post if you got into any other schools, and what if your first choice?

Thanks

good idea... cuz we need to get this waitlist or U of O going!!

if you cant tell... im good waitlisted

Ontario (non-Ottawa resident)

BSc Geology

GPA 3.88

NO MCAT so ottawa is my only shot this year (Mac didnt like me i guess)

I was bad-waitlisted at Ottawa U :confused: . I was not sure about the interview in that the interviewers were running late and seemed very rushed. I remember being the only applicant waiting in the waiting area, they came for me about 10 minutes after everyone else had left. It was so rushed that I did not get a single question in french ! I felt my responses were solid and good but probably not good enough to their liking. The doctor kept squabbling with the med student, lol, it was funny at times. Although I got into Mac, I am somewhat disappointed in that result from Ottawa U. Mac was my first choice so I guess it does not trouble me as much but still disappoints. It will be sad to leave Ottawa :( and congrats to those who got in and who will be moving and staying here for the next four years ! Ottawa is an amazing city which so happens to have an awesome med school in Ottawa U.

Undergrad: B.Sc. in Neuroscience at Carleton

ECs: Competitive Club Cricket, Hospital Volunteering (3 years), NCC Volunteering (3 years) and tutoring...... etc (pretty much the same ECs as most other premeds, lol)

cGPA : 3.9

wGPA: 3.9

Interviewed: Mac and Ottawa U

Accepted : Mac:D

I'm an Ontario resident that graduated from Western with a B.MSc. Hon Spec Biochemistry.

My wGPA was 3.92

My MCAT scores were bad (27R)

I was accepted by Ottawa, and this was my second time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Ottawa.

-------

CLo

• 2 weeks later...

I've been posting questions for last 2 -3 years now, and seen many posts in this thread. Coming from the Grad stream, I remember the countless nights searing through pmed101 to look up different grad stats/productivity to see what was needed/directions to give me some chance at the MD stream since my undergrad GPA did NOT cut it. So here I am, 3 years later finally being able to post in this thread. I appreciate every second of this :) . Thought this day would never come....

I'm posting my grad productivity in "DETAILED" for future grad students (like myself) who may be searching through grad profiles to see "some" past successful grad applicants.

Ugrad cGPA - 3.7ish (UofT) (OMSAS was a bit lower) -went into another related health care profession before coming back for MSc.

Grad GPA - 4.00 (did an MSc in Biochm at UofT)

MCAT: not relevant for UO

ECs: Had the regular stuff, volunteered in hospitals, intramural sports, nursing homes, elementray school, University clubs, homeless shelters, ShareLife, volunteered in Thailand/Laos/India during summers....etc.....etc........etc

LOR: I actually think my LORs was what got me through. I used up all 6 (at Toronto) cards, some profs, some MD's , and MOST important (in my opinion) was my volunteer supervisor who I have known for over 10 years. She told (did NOT show) me she wrote a 4 page LOR :eek:. She is the sweetest person in the world. God bless that women :D .

Finally my Research Productivity: (again, I'm not making any statements about myself, just posting for future grad applicants)

Papers: 4 in total by december deadline (1 published (1st author), 1 accepted (1st author) publication, 2 submitted (1st, 2nd author),

Presentations/conferences by dec/jan deadline: 15 in total (squeezed a few in from Sept-Dec).

- 4 invited talks, 11 posters.

Patents: 1

Awards: usual NSERC....grad school awards...etc.....

Although I was an MSc student, I worked hard (day/night - i'm sure fellow grad students can understand this through those many months, sometimes loosing steam but never loosing sight of my goals. It can be done!

Applied: Ottawa, UofT

Interviewed: Ottawa, UofT

Accepted: Ottawa, UofT

I was born and raised in Toronto, my family is here so I have decided to stay in T.O. But don't misunderstand me - UO is a great school, good program, nice staff, fun city and INCREDIBLE Student body (believe me I never will forget that tall blonde second year med student :P leading the tours)

• 10 months later...

I know the appearance of this thread on the main index page is going to cause tonnes of people to want to kill me haha but as I mentioned in the acceptance info thread, hopefully we can organize stats a little better this year to give future Ottawa applicants a better idea of what they're dealing with.

When May 13th (this year) does roll around please report back to this thread with:

1) Stream you fit into (English (ottawa region/OOP/Rural/Ontario not Ottawa)/French etc..)

2) Accepted/Waitlisted (good/bad)/Rejected

3) wGPA (not cGPA)

4) Interview feeling (good or bad/cold or warm interview panel)

5) EC's (reveal as much or as little as you'd like here)

I'll be sure to try to give a reminder much closer to the d-day!

Thanks everyone.

• 1 month later...

OMG! Best May 13 EVER!

English, Ontario but not Ottawa

Accepted!

wGPA - 3.94

Interview feeling - Immediately after, I was thinking baby, baby, baby NOOO. I felt like I didn't get to say everything I wanted to say, but after a few weeks I was like Baby, baby baby, OHHH.

ECs - Music (seriously), started a charitable club, chasing boys.

Good luck to you all! Don't stress ;)

Never thought I'd be able to post here, but here it is!!!!

1) English Ottawa region 4th year first time applicant (ottawa is the only school I applied to)

2) accepted

3)wGPA around 3.92-3.93...actually I'm not quite sure since I'm in coop and the semesters are kind of weird and not sure how they calculated the average but it's probably around there more or less.

4) The interviewers were EXTREMELY friendly, I was fearing the worst from them but got the exact opposite. I remembered stumbling on one question and one interviewer even helped me out a bit. In a nut shell, I think it's not really how good what you say is, it's how truthful and genuine you are.

5) Volunteered at senior homes, recreational sports, taekwondo (for a year and a half), play some instruments, work experiences in a few research labs, no publication.

Definitely not spectacular ECs as you can see. This was what I worried about the most, especially when compared to all other applicants who have exceptional ECs, but I guess it's not really the amount of ECs you have but rather the quality of them and the reason behind WHY you're doing the things you're doing.

I'm still recovering for the pleasant surprise. Good luck to all who are still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'good' waitlist here... also waitlisted at northern but offered a spot at queen's so will be accepting that and will be taken off the waitlist at both ottawa and nosm. i thought my interview went terribly but apparently it wasn't that bad. just finished undergrad at uottawa with a cgpa of about 3.98. good luck to everyone still waiting!

Bah!! I can't believe I actually get to write one of these.

1) I'm an Ontario resident (not from ottawa/rural)

2) Accepted

3) wGPA - 3.85 (rounded up from a 3.846)

- keep me in mind when reading the claims that no one gets in on May 15th with under a 3.93 lol.

4) Interview went really well, interviewers were all super friendly and warm.

5) EC's fairly standard... a little research but no pubs... lots of intramural sports and travel, and most recently been quite involved with the Cancer society.

Applied: Western, Dal, Ottawa, Queen's and N.O.S.M.

Interviewed: Queen's and Ottawa

Waitlisted: Queen's

Accepted and Attending: Ottawa!

1) Stream: English Stream, OOP (I'm a Scova Notianer!). Although, from what I understand at the interview stage this does not matter as there are no regional quotas?

2) Accepted (Firm Accepted)

3) wGPA - No Idea, never calculated it. my cGPA was probably 3.85-3.9, but my wGPA was probably closer to 3.9. To echo supafield's comment on gpa, there's a lot of hilarious conjecture based on the information from these boards. If they calculate the final score based on using GPA's to break ties with interview scores, then it's even more likely that lower gpa's will be accepted if they rocked they interview.

4) Interview Feeling: Fantastic. I had a good feeling when we started talking about all our research interests in a 1x1x1x1 conversation instead of a 3x1 grill session. We subsequently went 10 minutes over the time limit, but I was last of the day so it wasn't much of an issue.

5) Whatever I write here could probably be cut and paste then have a few minor details changed to apply to 3/4 of the applicants.

It is the only interview I got in Ontario (9 verbal reasoning score is apparently not indicative medicinal prowess, as the cut offs this year were astronomical). I really do hope Ottawa continues to not use the MCAT as a metric.