Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Accepted off the waitlist yesterday!

1) English (Ontario not Ottawa)

2) Good waitlist...and then accepted on May 31, 2010

3) wGPA: 3.88

4) Interview feeling: Warmish panel. They were nice and they definitely made me laugh a couple of times. However, the doctor was argumentative and would frequently cut me off in a semi-friendly/teasing way

5) EC's: 1000+ hours of hospital volunteering, heavily involved in a service-oriented youth community group, lots of leadership from aforementioned (directing plays, fundraising ventures, etc.), participated in a couple of clubs in undergrad (exec of one, and founded another), worked at the Ministry of Health for two summers...all in all I did things that I wanted to do and enjoyed doing :)

1) English Stream, Out-of-province

2) Good waitlisted and then accepted on June 8

3) wGPA 3.95

4) Did not feel very good after the interview, as there are a few awkward silences and blankly staring at the panels

5) Started volunteering in hospital 4 months before application deadline, but did a lot of research, peer program, academic coaching before that.

B.Sc. Honours, 1st time applicant

Got a 7 on verbal section of the MCAT, so applied to Ottawa and just got in!

Thanks PM101 for all the support during this agonizing waiting period!

• 2 months later...

I guess I should contribute, maybe it'll help someone in the future

1) Stream you fit into (English (ottawa region/OOP/Rural/Ontario not Ottawa)/French etc..) - Ontario not Ottawa

2) Accepted/Waitlisted (good/bad)/Rejected - Bad waitlisted/Rejected

3) wGPA (not cGPA) - 3.87

4) Interview feeling (good or bad/cold or warm interview panel) - I had a bad/cold panel. I figured I wouldn't get in. Ottawa's interview process really seems unfair to me, seeing as some people get nice warm fuzzy panels and others get cold panels. And it seems for the most part that those who get the nice panels, get an acceptance. As for the interview, I remained calmed and was prepared in case I encountered a cold panel, but I think there is only so much you can do when one of the doctor's treats the interview like an interrogation :|

5) EC's (reveal as much or as little as you'd like here) lots of work with people with disabilities, student clubs and government, personal trainer, lots of other jobs, typical volunteering, 3 research experiences (a few posters and a publication)

• 8 months later...

Accepted. Finally.

This was my 3rd time applying to medical school and 2nd time interviewing at Ottawa. All I can say is that perseverance pays off. I really felt like giving up after being out right rejected last year. I just kept believing in myself and I really put my heart and soul into it, and things worked out. No matter what anyway says, if this is your dream, do not give it up. I had teachers in high school tell me I would never succeed in University and I had people in University tell me I would never get into med school. Just focus on what you want and it will happen!!

My stats and stuff are on the top of the page if you are curious, and as you can see I had a bad panel last year, whereas this year I had an awesome panel, and had lots of jokes with them.

Accepted

IP (out of Ottawa)

English stream

GPA: 3.9ish

Loved the city and the people I met at my interview-especially my interview panel but I will most likely be turning the offer down for McGill. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!!

Good waitlist.

IP, English stream

cGPA 3.89

MCAT 35R

4th year student, pretty good ABS

Felt pretty good about the interview, great panel. Oddly enough I felt better about this than UofT...goes to show gut feelings don't correlate with outcomes lol.

Interviewed: Dal, Calgary, Queens, Ottawa, UofT

Accepted: UofT

Waitlisted: Dal, Queens, Ottawa

Pending: Calgary

I will be accepting UofT (ecstatically) and taking myself off the waitlist. Ottawa's an amazing school so good luck to everyone on the waitlist and congrats to those accepted!!

Waitlisted ("unlikely to get an offer"):

GPA: 3.98

3rd Year

IP out of Ottawa (English)

UofO interview: two nice panel members and one who was out to get me :P Overall felt ok, but not great.

Interviewed: McGill, UofT, Queen's, Mac, UofA, UofO

Rejected: UofT

Waitlisted: UofO

Waiting: UofA

Offered: McGill, Queen's, Mac

Accepting: :confused:

Congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to everyone else!

Bad waitlist

4th year undergrad

IP (Ottawa)

>3.95

36R

Deserved nothing less. I think my face was tired/disinterested, and I sneezed->transformed into laughter halfway through a serious question about euthanasia. Oh yeah, when they asked me to tell a joke, I told one involving rather descriptive sex. Oops.

Will be accepting Toronto. :D

4th year undergraduate from the University of Windsor. Just graduated from the Behaviour, Cognition, and Neuroscience program.

OMSAS cGPA: 3.92 (wGPA is higher)

My MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: S

Applied to: UWO, UofT, Mac, Queens, Ottawa, and Calgary

Rejected pre-interview: UofT & Calgary

Intervewed: UWO, Mac, Queens, Ottawa

Rejected post-interview: Mac

Waitlisted: Queens, Ottawa

Accepted: UWO!

UWO was my top choice! I got kind of depressed in the morning after one rejection and 2 WL's, but it turned out alright .

ECs: doctor shadowing on/off for a year or so, 4 years of research (including an honours thesis, 3 conference presentations, authorship on several abstracts accepted at conferences, 2 NSERCs, one summer and several semesers of paid research work, no publications), 2 years as an advisor at the UWindsor advising centre, long-term member of a student club (1 exec position in it) and then some hobbies: guitar and frisbee mainly. Never stepped foot in a hospital.

Getting into medical school is a long journey and a multi-step process. Tackle each step one at a time.

I've already withdrawn from the waiting list. Someone is going to be potentially very happy in the next few weeks!

How do you know whether you're on the good waitlist or the bad one?

Ahhh poo,

Good waitlist here!

3rd year

OOP

GPA 3.97

Ecs- I like to think they are good

Iinterview - knew it was bad, today confirmed.

If you got bad waitlisted it will say something like "due to your position on the waitlist you are unlikely to receive an offer". If you're good waitlisted it says nothing of that nature.

Accepted - French Stream

Non-trad Student.

1st degree GPA:2.28 (1994-1998) Chem Eng. Ottawa (CF-ROTP)

2nd degree GPA: 3.99 ( 2008-2011) Biomed Sciences Waterloo

WGPA: approx 3.74 for this application cycle since they included 1 year from 1st degree.

MCAT: 32Q

ECs: Nothing typical. Dad, family activities, engineering career, pilot, CF member 7 years, Board member of a non-profit daycare company, recreational target shooter, scuba diver, a few geeky/interesting things.

Interviewed: NOSM,UO,McGill

Accepted: UO

Waitlisted: McGill

Rejected: NOSM

Short story: I decided to pursue medicine on my 32nd birthday. I had a non-competitive 1st degree and needed to start over. This forum proved to be an amazing source of information and support. I'll be starting my first term in medicine at 36.

Very happy to announce that I was accepted into the french stream!

IP ottawa

cGPA 3.88

lots of EC's: exchange abroad, volunteer work, charity work, sports

lots of life experience as I had a first career as a physio

The interview was tough and a little short at 40 min long. I did the best

I could but one interviewer was quite confrontational with me. I guess they liked my answers though!

Interviewed at Mac and Ottawa: Accepted to both

will be turning down Macmaster

Congratulations to all!

Good waitlist...

4th year undergrad.

OMSAS cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: PS 11/BS 11/VR 12/S

Accepted at UWO and waitlisted at Ottawa.

ECs: lots of tutoring/mentorship, NSERC, exec of student club, competitive sport, hospital volunteering

Waiting on the Western Canada schools, but I will most likely (99%) withdraw myself from the waiting list.

Accepted

English Stream

GPA - 4.0 (Last two years)

Grad GPA - 4.0

Publications: 2

Former Semi-Pro Tennis Athlete

Lots of volunteer

Interview went great.

- Of all the schools I have been accepted to, Ottawa is my first choice.

Accepted: All Ontario schools, MUN

Pending: Saskatchewan

Accepted

Time Stamp: 8:36 am

English Stream

OMSAS GPA = 3.90

MCAT: 31Q

Lots of volunteering, diversity in extracurriculars

Interview went great, I lucked out with an awesome panel of interviewers. I was able to really connect with them, and they seemed intrigued and impressed throughout the interview. I walked out feeling very good about the whole experience. They gave me many opportunities to talk about myself, my passion, my experiences...

Accepted: OttawaU

Pending: UBC

***Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I really want to be there for anyone who wants to know anything about the whole application process.

Applied: U of T, McMaster, Queens, Ottawa, Saskatchewan

Intervewed: U of T, Queens, Ottawa

Waitlisted: Queens

Accepted: U of T, Ottawa

3rd year undergrad

GPA: 3.97

ECs: 2 summers of research (no publications), tutoring, exec. on a volunteer committee, youth mentoring, hospital volunteering, shadowed doctors

Will be accepting at U of T.

Accepted

wGPA - 3.97

Time Stamp: 7:50am

ECs: Clinic volunteer, house building in the Dominican Republic, coaching various sports, volunteer tutoring were the main ones.

Interview: Went great. Panel was very warm and they got to know me. In a previous interview at Ottawa I had a panel that only asked me ethical questions and while I felt like I answered them well, they didn't get to know me. This interview we discussed my ECs, sports, movies, politics...it was surreal. One guy actually asked for my take on how the Toronto Blue Jays would do this year.

Waitlist (good): Ottawa, Queen's

Accepted: Toronto

4th Year

wGPA: 3.9

LOR's: 2 PI's (both were happy with my work), 1 high school guidance counsellor (knows me for many years, very good letter)

EC's: lots of volunteering with disabled individuals (starting in grade 8), executive positions on youth councils/student councils/clubs, many long-term hobbies (cycling, painting, etc.), volunteering at local and international hospitals, 2 summers of research (1 publication) and honours thesis

Interview at Ottawa: COLD panel (1 bad cop, 1 neutral/bad cop, 1 good cop). Just from reading all the threads on PM101, I was fully expecting a cold panel and prepared accordingly. I tried to remain fairly relaxed throughout the interview despite the excessive grilling (at one point, the bad cop fired back with a question, then said "nevermind, I'm just being a prick." lol). I felt like I gave the right answers to their questions, but it took a while to get to them because some of the scenarios they gave me were quite ambiguous and long-winded. Definitely was not my best interview performance.

I will be accepting toronto, so hopefully that will help a little with the waitlist movement. Best of luck to all the waitlisters!