Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Accepted to 'Unspecific' campus, timestamp 8:31.

cGPA: 3.99

wGPA: 4.00

4th Year

MCAT VR 11, PS 12, BS 13, WS R

A lot of research experience, contributing to 3 publications, presenting at a conference and 2 summer NSERC awards. Extensive involvement in Music, performing and teaching guitar. + Mentoring, hospital/retirement home volunteering, tutoring etc...

Had a great feeling coming out of the interview; my panel was extremely warm and friendly! However, I'll probably be accepting U of T. Good luck everyone!

- Andrei -

Applied: U of T, Western, Ottawa, Mac, Queens

Interview: U of T, Western, Ottawa, Mac

Accepted: U of T, Western, Ottawa, Mac

Education: completed third year biomedical science at York U

GPA:3.92

1 NSERC, 1 publication, 1 conference presentation, worked/volunteer doctors office and physio clinic, tutored and mentored first years, research since first year uni, some awards...

MCAT: never wrote it

Accepted by Ottawa at 7:56am, only applied to Ottawa (due to lack of MCATs)

Will be going there in September!:)

Accepted - OOO

GPA: 3.91 (after Ottawa weighting)

ECs: not great

I was extremely lucky to even interview here! I actually got rejected for an interview at first, then was lucky enough to get a call when someone cancelled. Interview felt good, but not great

Time Stamp: May 15th, 7:56 am

wGPA: 3.92

EC's: volunteering at hospitals, nursing homes, and clinics, TAing, Tutoring, student clubs, student events' organizing, research, presidents research award, one conference, but no publications.

Interview feeling: I felt great coming out of the interview, but started to feel worse and worse as time went on. I had a very friendly panel and felt comfortable talking about myself.

I am very excited to be coming to Ottawa next year! good luck to everyone on the waiting list :)

Accepted

IP, OOO 4th year applicant

GPA: 3.94

ECs: varied

2nd time interviewing at Ottawa, bad waitlist last year. Interview this year took a dive towards the end (both of my interviews ended somewhat brashly at Ottawa) so I was not expecting an offer. A bit odd but I suppose this shows its very hard to gauge how it went.

Will be turning down the offer, best of luck to those waiting on some movement

Delighted to be accepted:

Honours Neuro/Psych major, Theatre Minor

cGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 39Q VR: 12, B: 13, P: 14

Extra-currix: generalist sports activities, NSERC research and other early experiences, a few publications (one first-author), student government/outreach endeavors. Also volunteering in health care both within and outside hospital settings. A few odds and ends.

A word to future applicants: I'm convinced that it's the quirky little things about a person's application that ultimately distinguishes it (beyond the broad-sweeping categories like research and volunteerism which are often important for first-pass looks but may not do much for differentiating between applicants). Find something particular to you, a peculiar interest, cause or pursuit and make it ring! Lead with your strengths. I spent most of this application cycle with blinders on trying not to look at what anyone else was doing because I didn't want to have to manage MORE uncertainty. I think that helped sanity-wise.

Good luck! Be well.

Accepted!!

Stream: French

IP, OOO (Graduated in 2010 - Bachelor in Biochemistry, 2nd Bachelor in Italian)

GPA: 3.8

ECs: research, volunteer, clubs, theater, TAed and tutored almost everything, studied and taught abroad for 2 years

1st time applied to uOttawa

Accepted on May 15, 2012!!!!!!

MASc student, UofT

Hons BSc. in Biochemistry

MCAT 32R, B13, P11, V8

GPA: 3.91

References: Undergraduate thesis professor, masters supervisor, primary care nurse who I volunteered with

Publications: Undergraduate first author, attended conference during masters, OGS Shcolarship

EC: volunteer at hospital, school, cultural event organizer, choreographer and others

Applied: Ottawa, UT, McGill

Interviews: Ottawa, UT

Accepted: Ottawa, UT

Will be accepting UofT so will be opening up a spot for someone here :D This was my third time interviewing with Ottawa...I got stuck on the Good waitlist the first two times! My two bits... don't ever give up hope...keep trying...one day you'll succeed :)

Long time lurker...

Got in on the 15th (not off waitlist, just late to the boards).

GPA: 3.92, 35R

Had 6 canadian interviews, this was my best I thought.

Great school and city, but I'm leaning towards Queens!

I'll be freeing up one spot :)

edit: Got into Queens, Ottawa, Toronto

- OOO

- Just finished 3rd year biomed at UWO

- 2-year wGPA: 3.98 (2-year unweighted GPA: 3.97, 3-year (current) GPA: 3.98)

- MCAT: PS 13 VR 11 BS 11 WS P

- Might as well throw in my ECs (not because you care to read about them, but because they probably cost me several premature grey hairs, and so I think they deserve some sort of special mention :P): 6 medical missions trips, 7 years of volunteering with individuals with intellectual disabilities (incl. 2 years as chapter president of the program), 3 years as writer/editor/website designer for an online pre-med magazine, 2 summers as an overnight camp counselor, 2 summers of research, many years of competitive swimming

- May 15th, 8:44AM: good waitlisted by Ottawa

- May 29th, 2:26PM: offered admission by Ottawa

- First time applying

- Decided that I'd end up choosing Ottawa even if I did get in to McMaster and firmly accepted Ottawa's offer via SAM on June 3rd.

Got accepted off the WL on the 29th at around 2:50pm

3rd year Life Sci @ Queen's

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT (not that it matters): 15/10/15

EC's: Average

Good waitlisted at 8:44

Will be accepting Ottawa on Monday. Waiting to see about Mac but will almost certainly choose Ottawa even if I get into Mac.

accepted May 15th

OOO

4th year undergrad

wGPA: ~3.96

ECs: A mix of things I loved, including mental health advocacy, a lot of leadership activities (local and national student boards), political involvement and advocacy, work with individuals with special needs & other vulnerable populations. Some research with conference presentations and posters.

Applied: Ottawa, McMaster, Western, UofT, Queen's

Interviews: Ottawa, McMaster, Western, UofT, Queen's

Accepted (May 15th): Ottawa, McMaster, Western, UofT, Queen's

Accepted UofT's offer.

My advice: Participate in activities that you really love and are passionate about. That passion will shine through in your interviews. Be yourself (seriously).

Accepted May 30th off of Waitlist

wGPA 3.97

IP OOO

4th Year

English Stream

ECs: Hospital, Orientation, Research, some sports related clubs

Applied: UT, Ottawa, Western, Queen's, MacMaster

Interviewed: UT, Ottawa, Western

Rejected Post Interview: UT

Waitlisted: Ottawa, Western

Accepted (Off waitlist): Ottawa

Will be accepting! Can't wait to meet everyone!

wGPA: 3.94

BSc + MSc

English stream

ECs: Research, NSERCs, OGS, volunteer, hospital volunteer, sports, travel

First year applying

Applied: NOSM, Ottawa

Interviews: NOSM, Ottawa

Waitlisted: NOSM, Ottawa

Accepted (off waitlist): Ottawa

So excited to move to Ottawa!

Congrats everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

3rd year microbio and immuno @ McGill

GPA: 3.99

Out of province, English stream

EC: Research at U of T and UBC, Dota (computer game) team captain, high school basketball coach, recreational sports, exec at student health organization group.

Applied: Ottawa

Accepted: Ottawa

• 10 months later...