Premed 101 Forums

International Elective

Guest stargazer4

Guest stargazer4

I'm in first year med at UofC, and I'm hoping to go to Africa for my international elective this summer. I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience over there, who might be able to provide me with some suggestions and contact info? I'm eventually hoping to do Peds, so a Peds elective would be fabulous. But I'd also be happy to do something more general, just to get some international health experience. Also, do any of your uni websites have a list of links for places to apply for international websites? If anyone could provide me with a link to their website that would be great! For anyone interested in UofC's international partnerships, here's the link: www.fp.ucalgary.ca/IHP/Partnerships.htm

Cheers!!!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

The University of Toronto has a Centre for International Health, as follows:

UofT Centre for International Health

I know of a number of medical students who have contacted the program and gone off to do international electives in Africa and Cambodia. They have had wonderful experiences with plenty of responsibility. I'm not sure if medical students from schools other than UofT can go on these electives, but you might want to contact the CIH Director, David Zakus. He's a great guy and will help you if he can.

Good luck, and happy travels,

Kirsteen

Hey...

I am actually heading to Africa as part of a new program with Dal's International Health Office. It is in conjunction with the Department of International Development Studies (IDS). It is being offered for the first time to Med 1 and Med 2s. For me, this isn't so much as an elective, but we are doing a "study" tour in Kenya first for 2 weeks (lectures, field trips), then spending 2 weeks in Tanzania working with AIDS patients in hospices or clinics. So I can't give you much advice yet...

but here is our link...

iho.medicine.dal.ca/

good luck with your search!

• 1 year later...

Archived