Premed 101 Forums

Electives and your CV

Guest fox

I am in the process of updating my CV and was just wondering what the general opinion is about putting shadowing/elective experience on your CV. I am in first year and have shadowed a few doctors on my own time, and have also done my 12 hour elective in endocrinology. We don't actually do *real* electives until third year, so I was wondering if I should bother putting these small experiences on my CV.

Guest Ian Wong

You could leave them on for now, and then tailor and prune them appropriately once you figure out what specialties you are applying for.

I honestly don't see much benefit to putting these electives on your CV (the ones that truly matter are those done as a senior medical student, particularly if you gain a strong letter of reference), unless you are trying to show that you've really been committed to a specialty over a long period of time (and even then, it probably doesn't matter much, if at all).

Ian

Guest Akane200

12 hours of elective... is that like only 3 half days? I think such shadowing experiences of such a really short duration does not warrant a mention in your CV as a first year student unless it is an ongoing longitudinal elective for a good majority of the whole year or something informal for the whole summer. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but I didn't think that such sporadic shadowing (a few hours in this, a few hours in that) could be counted as an "elective" (informal or otherwise) at all. That's just "shadowing" done on your own leisure time to me. *shrug* But maybe it's just me.

But real electives (including informal ones) are important on your CV, I think. It may not make a big difference, but it also shows that you've done something constructive with your time as well.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Archived