Premed 101 Forums

advice on osap

Guest mdhopeful23

Guest Steve U of T

I was wondering about the same thing. I suppose you could pick a school you think you might be at, and change it in June when you receive your acceptances. It wouldn't change much as far as your assessment is concerned. Still, I would like to know what the official policy is.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I submitted to OSAP a wee while ago under the assumption that I'd at least be attending UofT this September within one of their PhD programs. However, in the event that I'm granted an acceptance, I'll be changing that program to an MD program. :)

Currently, although my application is submitted, it is on hold since apparently the UofT Office of Awards has not yet provided OSAP with the financial details (tuition, text expenses, etc.) for each of its programs. The latest note on the OSAP site is that they expect to receive this information by mid-June, and so the application shall recommence the review process by then. If an MD acceptance emerges by then I'll be switching my OSAP information to that program given that all of the MD program tuitions are significantly higher than that of my PhD program, plus none of the MD programs to which I've applied provide guaranteed stipends!

So in short, it probably will not hurt you if you submit your OSAP application now. At least, if you have the time now, you can get it out of the way, submit any additional information that they require from you, e.g., the signature confirmation form, and change your information as necessary, once your acceptances begin to arrive. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 months later...
Guest MDHopeful04

I've been reading all the posts regarding OSAP, particularly with regards to owning a car and how it (negatively) affects your chances of getting OSAP.

I also read that if we transfered ownership "improperly", it could be considered as a "sale" and OSAP would have treat it as if we obtained some assets (something along those lines). However, according to mdhopeful23 (4/12/04 3:43pm):

"depending on where you live, you can tranfer a car between family members as a 'gift'. its a simple transfer of ownership and you don't pay taxes because there was no 'sale'."

Has anyone successfully transfered ownership of their vehicle and not have any problems getting OSAP subsequently?

I have a car in my name and I would like to transfer it to my parents. Where would I start if I wanted to do this properly (e.g., Ministry of Transportation)? Are there any websites I can visit to get further information?

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding something I read a couple pages back on this thread:

first off, they really only count the income, assests etc, after the first week of may.

My situation: I'm currently finishing up my Master's thesis (enrolled part time) and working full time from January - June. I'm making a fair bit of money, some of which I'm using to repay a bunch of debts I've accrued over the last couple of years, some of which I'm using to cover current expenses...a tiny portion of which I will use to get myself a place in Kingston for September (got deferred admission to Queen's for this coming year)...and the majority of which I plan to spend traveling in July & August because really, having already been in university for nearly seven (!) years, I desparately need some time off before starting in meds...

now, my question...MOST of the money I'm making right now will have been earned prior to this May 1 deadline that was mentioned previously (since I'm only working until the end of June), but a lot of it will still be in my bank account until July/August when I travel...do they only count "income" after May 1, or will it still hurt me to have this balance in my account? I really don't want to even consider giving up the trip i've been dreaming of for the last year just so that I can get OSAP...

thanks,

turtle

• 6 months later...

Archived