Premed 101 Forums

Endocrinology

Guest Aidan

Hi guys,

I've just applied to Med school (UofT), so in the agonizing period until interviews, I figure I might as well find out a bit more about what's involved in becoming an MD.

I've been interested in endocrinology for quite some time now, and I'm wondering -- what is involved in becoming an endocrinologist? After 4 years basic medical school, where do you go from there? Is it an endocrinology residency, or is it something more general, with endocrinology being a fellowship or something afterwards? Thanks for your help!

Oh, and any info/comments/insight into the field of psychiatry would be appreciated too! :)

Guest UWOMED2005

For endocrinology, you do internal medicine for 3 years and then apply to an endocrinology subspecialty fellowship for either 2 or 3 years. I think 2. . . though with the option of doing an additional fellowship if you wanted.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Aidan,

If you are currently a UofT student and you'd like to get your feet wet with some endocrinology, there are a number of excellent courses (both undergraduate and graduate) offered by the Physiology Dept. in the discipline. (To boot, I believe that there are a few being offered this winter term.) For example: JCV3061-Hormones and the Cardiovascular System; PSL420/421-Development & Function/Pregnancy & Birth both are very heavy in reproductive endocrinology); PSL424-Endocrinology & Neuroendocrinology; PSL425-Integrative Metabolism & its Endocrine Regulation.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cheech10

Endocrinology fellowships are 2 years after a 3 year internal medicine residency (as are all medical fellowships except cardiology [3 years] or a chief year [1 year]), AFAIK.

Archived