Premed 101 Forums

My chances at a US Med School

Guest Jay999

Guest Jay999

Hey guys,

I am currently entering my 4th year of studies at the University of Toronto and strongly wish to pursue a career in Medicine. I have been extensively researching Medical schools in Canada, US and the carribean and just had some question about my chances in the US. I plan on applying to New York, New Jesrsey, Dallas, Chicago and Georgia.

Here are my stats

GPA: 3.5

300+ Volunteer hours

President of the Dentistry club

Chairmen of cultural youth group

11 years of Shotokan Karate (2nd dan black belt)

Work experience in a Clinic and Pharmacy

I am currently preparing for the MCAT and have just written the mock Princeton MCATS. Here are my stats for the MOCK without fully learning any of the phhysics material yet, as well as the chem and bio. Also, Princeton does not bell curve their results for the mock test so I am not sure how that will affect my results (any idea?).

BS: 10 PS: 8 VR: 6 (Really trying hard to improve this)

I dont think I will have trouble attaining a +10 on the BS and PS sections and hope to do well in the VR section.

If anyone could give me some insight on my chances plz let me know. Thankyou very much.

J

Guest Kooman

Hi Jay,

I think one of the key factors in gettin' an interview in the states is timing. Bascially, u'll have a much MUCH better chance of gettin' an interview if you apply early. If you apply in September and ur an average Canadian applicant, you will have little to no chance of gettin' anything.

With that said, I personally found that MCAT is a major factor in medical admission in the states. So make sure you do ur best on the MCAT. I believe US schools will be more critical of Canadian students with their MCAT than anything else on the application.

Guest Jay999

Thanks Kooman, really appreciate it, i have started working on it already n will try to do my best on the MCATS. All the best

J

Guest Madz25

The earliest you could've submitted the AMCAS application was June 1st, I believe. If not that then June 15th. Anyway, you can submit it any time now!

Madz

Archived