Premed 101 Forums

missing one pre-req, can i still apply?

Guest larasmith

Guest larasmith

Hi,

I want to apply to US schools this fall. However, I'm only taking the second physics during the fall semester so I'll only have the credit by December. Can I still apply to the US schools this fall even if I'm not completely finished that pre-req?

Thanks,

Lara

• 2 months later...
Guest bananaboat72

say i don't get into a half credit during my fourth year (due to enrollment restrictions for a course i don't have priority over).

would it be acceptable to complete this prereq after i obtain my degree, but before matriculation?

are such conditional offers commonly granted?

Guest bananaboat72

but moo...

between someone with the prereqs and someone missing one (say i can't fit english in next year).... why would they choose me?

do you think you are at a real disadvantage applying without a single prereq? *even if you have all the other required and recommended courses?

Guest Madz25

Person A has all the prereqs.

Person B is missing one, but is planning on completing it this upcoming year.

What difference does it make to the admissions committee if by the time med school starts, both Person A and Person B will have all the prereqs?

That being said, your admission will depend on you completing the prereq that you are missing.

"say I can't fit english in next year" - if you don't finish the prereq by the time med school starts, you wont get in. Simple. There are plenty of people waiting on the waitlist to take your spot.

If you will not have all the prereqs by the time you apply, don't bother applying!! It's a simple way to weed out applications. They get thousands of applications. Applying without all the prereqs, even if you are only missing one, is a waste of money.

Madz

Guest bananaboat72

hey madz i agree with you, it is an easy way to weed out applicants. does that mean applicants rarely get conditional acceptances? i would take the english after fourth year if i got an offer.

one prereq i'll be taking in my fourth (senior year). that's not going to put me at any disadvantage, correct?

Guest bananaboat72

"Applying without all the prereqs, even if you are only missing one, is a waste of money."

are you saying applying without all the prereqs COMPLETED (by the time you submit amcas) is a waste of money? or applying without having them completed after senior year is a waste of money.

so i shouldn't even bother if i have to do one full credit of a prereq in my fourth year (the second level inorganic and organic).

Guest Madz25

not having ALL the prereqs by the time you enter medical school is a waste of money. there's nothing wrong with completing prereqs in your 4th year.

i would check about the 'taking english if you got an offer' thing. i'd imagine if it doesnt show up on your transcript as a future course that you'll be taking then schools might just throw out your application. i'd call and ask about that...

madz

Guest bananaboat72

thanks madz.

i don't think i'll be taking the english anymore. i've decided that there are good number of schools i'd be interested in applying to that do not require english. plus, entrance into the states is not my first priority. i'm actually hoping to get into a school in ontario, but trying to apply more widely in the event that doesn't happen.

i was just concerned when you said its a waste of many to APPLY without your prereqs...thought you were saying all your prereqs should be done by the time you submit your AMCAS.

Archived