Premed 101 Forums

American medschools

Guest guest

Guest guest

I was wondering if anyone outhere knows what american medical schools consider canadians as out of state instead of as international.

Thanx

In terms of financial aid: Canadians = internationals = ABSOLUTELY no aid

however, Wash U in St. Louis and Case Western Reserve both have merit-based scholarships up for grab even for internationals. They are just very very difficult to get.

In terms of admissions, my feel is that Canadians = internationals = hard to get in

However, the key is to have enough $$$$ to pay for tuition (you gotta show them the bank statements before you matriculate; many schools, such as Wash U and Cornell actually demand you to put 200k into a bank account that they designate before you start the first day of class. So I assume that if you have the money to show them even during the admissions process, the all the better). Therefore if you have money to pay, then maybe you just have a slightly tougher chance of getting in than an American.

I know 5 Canadians who have gotten into the US med schools. 3 from last year and only 1 stayed in Canada eventually. 2 from this year; both seem to be off to the US because those schools really sell themselves to them.

Archived