Premed 101 Forums

AGE DOESN'T MATTER?

Guest evilj98

Guest evilj98

I was reading that you are reviewed without reguard to your age. I also saw that of the 920 28-31 year olds that applied, only 284 were accepted and only 168 of them were men.

I am 28 and still in my premeds. I still have to finish my BS. I will be approx 31-32 when I am finally ready to apply to med school.

What kind of outlook do I have? I am a US resident, a Florida resident, and an honor student. If I continue to maintain this GPA, do I have a good chance? Or are all applicants usually high GPA which will lower my chances.

Also; does anyone know how difficult it is to be accepted into any of the Florida Universities?

Guest evilj98

I have also been told by a couple of my doctor friends that my age may be a leg up, due to maturity. They also said that it may help that I am married.

I just want to know, so that I may prepare a VERY good back-up plan.

Guest brandonite

I don't think age is a problem. I think med schools don't really like applicants who are in their 50s or something like that, but 30 is fine.

As to the Florida schools... I've heard that next to the University of California schools, they are among the toughest to get into in the US. I didn't apply to any of them, so I'm not really too sure. You might make out better with that sort of question at SDN - http://www.studentdoctor.net. This is more of a Canadian board. There are a bunch of us who are applying to US schools, so we have a general idea about what's going on, but there are a pile of Floridians on SDN who might be able to help you out better than us...

Archived