Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD programs in US?

Guest ricorod

Guest ricorod

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's "easier" to get into an MD/PhD program in the US as opposed to the regular MD program? I was just wondering if perhaps some schools look more favourably on students applying to this stream, since there is less interest in it.

Thanks!

Guest Ian Wong

As far as I'm aware, and I'm pretty sure about this, in the States MD/PhD programs are actually significantly harder to get into. Not only must you be accepted into the MD program, but you need to be accepted into the PhD program as well.

One big incentive for many students to go into the program is that in the States, often you'll have your tuition paid for, plus receive a small stipend during the 7 or so years of an MD/PhD program. To me, this is an arguable advantage, as that additional three years that you commit to the PhD portion is a loss of three years of a physician's income. On the other hand, I think you would be looked upon more favourably by many residency programs, as some research background is definitely helpful.

Ultimately though, I don't think an MD/PhD program is for everyone, and it's certainly not a good way to get the title "Dr." in front of your name. I would only recommend such a program for people who have a genuine interest and desire in both research and clinical medicine, and who have career goals that would blend the two significantly. You can often apply into the MD/PhD stream after your first year of medical school; you can certainly do that at UBC. However, at UBC, not everyone who does this gets accepted (at least not among my classmates) and so those students elected to continue on in the MD-only program.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest YongQ

You should check into this, but I've heard from a friend who applied to Washington St. Louis that MDPhDs (it's called MSTP down there) don't have to pay tuition at all! Thus if you're a Canadian interested in MDPhD programs, the States is definitely a viable option even if money is a concern. Otherwise if you're just not interested enough in research to make the 7-year commitment (plus 2+ for res!), you can expect to be knee-deep in debt because M.D. programs in most if not all schools have no gov't funding for Canadians.

Guest HHH07

If tuition is payed for the entire time, then the MDPhD can make meds an option for Canadians who couldn't otherwise go due to money.

As for whether it is easier: It is not easier in general to get into the MDPhD program, because as was mentioned earlier you have to meet requirements for both MD and PhD. However, if you have significant research background (i.e. a Master's or publications, or preferrably both), then it may be easier to get into MDPhD as opposed to MD if you have a lower MCAT or GPA. This is because schools want to get good applicants into these programs.... medical research plays a huge role when it comes to reputations of med schools because the top people will be publishing and getting big grants and making a name for the school that they work at. Therefore, schools in the states will make a significant effort to get people to their MDPHD programs if they have proven research capability. I have heard that if the PhD side of the program wants you, and you have the MD min. requirements (and assuming that it is not one of the very top schools, and that the school excepts people from Canada, etc.), then they will likely accept you. Again, in my opinion, this is only really an advantage for someone with a lot of research background and someone who has a low undergrad GPA and/or MCAT and would otherwise have found it much more difficult (if not impossible) to be accepted. Obviously, if yuo have a great GPA/MCAT and and are interested in research, then an MDPHD may be a great option also if you are truly interested in a career in combining clinical work and research.

• 9 months later...
Guest UNCchapel hill

I am on the admissions committee at my school. The MD/PhD's at good US med schools are much more competitive than just the 4 year MD. You need to be accepted into both the med school and graduate programs seperately. The few guys that usually get into the top 30 schools are really great candidates. Although the time spent in school is way to long for most (including me), training in an MD/PhD program at a US school will really open doors for you, most programs have a very good set-up.

Guest UNCchapel hill

If you are accepted into the MD/PhD program in the US it is usually a full ride, with a stipend and health insurance on top of that. So you should not worry about the cost rather do well on your MCAT/GRE, once your in your in.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thewonderer

In general, GPA and MCAT are higher for MD/PhD entrants than straight MD entrants. Therefore it is not simply that you need to meet the entrance requirements of both MD and PhD programs, but your stats also need to be higher. However, I doubt that is the case at top schools where MD and MD/PhD entrants all have pretty high stats.

I believe that you get your tuition paid for during the 4 MD years and get tuition paid + receiving stipends during your 3-4 PhD years.

There are schools in the US that accept Canadian (or international) for MD/PhD. However, I don't think that they use MSTP funding (it is from NIH or in other words, US federal government). The schools might use their own private funding to fund your PhD portion and your tuitions.

To UNC chapel Hill:

Are you a canadian student at UNC med?

Guest UNCchapel hill

Yes I am a third year at UNC. Our school does accept out of state students, and for MD/PhD it is a full ride for both the MD and PhD portions (in part i think that it what makes it so competitive)

Archived