Premed 101 Forums

regarding US medical schools

Guest caps03

Guest caps03

I am a Canadian student thinking of applying to US medical schools as well as Canadian ones. I have heard that when picking a US medical school you have to be careful because not all allow you to do residencies or make it difficult to get one. Is this true? If so, how do i identify these schools from the rest?

Thanks,

Caps

Guest heyheyhey

you should be more carful about which ones let canadians in. If you go to any us school they let you do a residency. There are more spots then students. So if you want to do a particular residency but dont want the competition.......go to the states. However, if your marks are not high in med school be prepared to do your resiency in like the styx. Also, you probably wont be able to practice here, its pretty hard to get a spot only 18 avalible for international.

Guest brandonite

Hmm. This question should be answered elsewhere here, you might want to take a look for it.

Private schools don't really care where you came from - or what country you're from. You might want to pick up a copy of the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) from the American Association of Medical Colleges (http://www.aamc.org) - they have a list of all the medical schools in the US, and the number of foreign applicants they let in each year.

Like I said, it doesn't actually matter to most private schools where you're from. But private schools are far more difficult to get into than public schools in the US to begin with, so you're looking at applying to the more competitive schools in the US.

Other than that, just be sure you have good MCATs, be aware of the cost (both of applying and of getting in - I've spent probably $3000 so far on my applications to US and flying to interviews), and the cost of my degree will probably be $200,000 US. If you're borrowing the money, check out http://www.iefc.com - they'll loan you the entire cost of your education provided you have a Canadian cosignor.

Oh, and apply early! You need to have your AMCAS (like OMSAS) in by the end of August at the latest. And it helps if you're writing the April MCAT. Good luck!

Archived