Premed 101 Forums

*GPA questions

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Paul

Date:***10/2/2000 8:11 pm*PST

For anyone familiar with the american grading system my classes often have plus/minus grading to the letter grade. I was wondering if you guys know if usually to get an A, according to american system, you would have to get above a 93.33 percent usually? Or does it differ from class to class often? Also I was wondering where should you draw the line on the option of retaking a class over again for a higher GPA? For example should I retake a class if was to get an A- or a B+ in it if you are trying to aim for a very very high GPA? but this is only my first semester as a freshman( I did take a summer school class though at college). And as a second semester freshman where do you think you should draw the line on grades if your aiming for a very very high gpa?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*moo, UG3

Date:***10/2/2000 9:46 pm*PST

At UBC, an A is 85-89, an A+ is 90-100 and an A- is 80-84. Although the numerical scales are different, I can assure you that a 91 (=A+), say at UBC is a lot more difficult to get than a 91 (=B+) at some US college. For example, the average grade for all people accepted to UBC was something like 82... that probably corresponds to a C or C+ average (about 2.5 on a 4.0 scale) at US schools, so clearly you can't compare the two. Different schools use different grading systems, but almost every school has a letter grade system. And the rule of thumb is the same everywhere, anything with an A is excellent, anything with a B is acceptable, and anything below that is disaster.

As for drawing the line, if I don't have to retake a class, I won't. Both grades show up on your transcript and there's just so much more pressure to improve the second time around. For example, my lowest ever mark was a B- in organic I but I would NEVER consider sitting through those horrific exams again, not to mention spending countless nights studying my butt off. Like most premeds (most, not all) I hated organic but I had to take it. But I would never retake it.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Jeff S, UG2

Date:***10/2/2000 10:10 pm*PST

Yeah, I'd agree there. A bunch of "drops" on your transcript probably wouldn't look very good. Besides, retaking courses means you have to waste part of your summer....

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Marie

Date:***12/28/2000 3:43 pm*PST

Again, just furthering the agreement. A B+ is nothing to be ashamed of (in fact, i have like a B- and 2 Bs on my transcript in two years of studies) and there's no way i would EVER sit thru those classes again. My low grades are an indication that i did not like those classes.

• 2 months later...
Guest sneha

In the University where I did my undergraduation, the topmost student in our class secured a percentage of 76 as our system of evaluation is rather stringent.

I have a percentage of 68.7 and is among the top 15 in our class.But while applying for a University in America I find it very hard as the percentage -GPA conversion lowers my GPA.So,is there any other criteria for calculating the GPA taking into account of class average and the highest percentage?

Guest Akane200

For applying to american schools, your gpa must be converted using the AMCAS conversion scale that is set each school.

If your school is known to be stringent and scores are generally lower than others (and this is recognized by AMCAS as a tougher school), the AMCAS conversion will account for this. However, that may or may not be the case for your school. If not, then I am afraid that you may be out of luck.

I don't think there is anything for calculating gpa by taking into account the class average and percentage. However, this info might be written on your transcript. However, I really can't say if the admissions people look at those instead.

• 2 months later...

Archived