Premed 101 Forums

Financial Aid

Guest Doctor Evil J

Guest Doctor Evil J

When applying for financial aid for Med School. Are they more strict about loaning that large of an amount as opposed to regular college courses. For instance any outstanding bills? Do they see them as a negative mark against your character? Do they go that in depth?

I am still finishing my Pre Med requirements, so I am not QUITE ready to start applying to Med schools yet, but I want to be prepared for everything that lies ahead.

Thanks,

Guest brandonite

If you are applying to American schools, there are a large number of sources available to loan you the $200 000+ Canadian that you will need. Generally, with a cosignor with a good credit rating, they won't look at your credit history too deeply (at least, that's the impression I have). Doctors are generally a good credit risk.

In terms of Canadian schools... You can qualify for gov't student loans as long as you have decent credit history. Check out the sites for your provincial gov't loan agency for more details, but in Manitoba, they have pretty leniant guidelines.

Good luck!

Archived