Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS Practice Vision

Guest ricorod

Guest ricorod

Hi,

Does anyone else that's doing their AMCAS application (i know i should have finished mine by name, but i'm a procrastination junkie) think that there's waaaay too much space for the practice vision? There's no way I can fill 1.5 pages with my "life and medical practice as I see it 10 years from now" without some serious dung digging. Just curious what others feel about this.

Thanks.

Guest YongQ

I'm not filling out the AMCAS right now, but I've an idea for that new section that I tried on one of my secondaries last year - try telling a case story, letting your imagination run wild. Perhaps include a touch of premedical idealism as well as some harsh realities of the limitations of practising medicine. It really depends on what your goals are at this moment - which residency, whether or not you plan to work in a rural area, urban area, do missionary work, do clinical research, become clinical faculty at a university, do fundraising, etc. If you can envision all of this, you could maybe follow a day in your life 10 years from now. If you're feeling especially bold, you could make it more abstract (I wrote my whole AMCAS and Canadian App essays as stories with didactic segues). The questions this really boils down to are, "What do you think medicine is, can you envision what you'd be doing to accomplish the ends of medicine, and how do you plan to integrate medicine into your life?"

Good luck, and make sure to send that app soon, August is cutting it close for the U.S.

Guest Akane200

I filled that one out afew years ago, but I don't think that it's way too much space. Depends on how you write and what you want to say. It's always better to have more space than less than you need.

Guest ricorod

Thanks for the replies. Now that I've actually done the application I realize it wasn't that bad after all. I wrote my initial post before I had even started the application, and was a bit overwhelmed by the damn thing. I guess that's really the case with all these applications.

Archived