Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS post-submission process

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi chieka,

To respond to your note on the other thread, I didn't really have anything specific in mind that could possibly hold up the transfer process. I suppose I'm just trying to get a feel for a process that I really know very little about! :) It seems that there would be a heck of a lot of verifying to do on AMCAS' side and I imagined a significant lag.

On the upside however, it's nice to be involved in a meds admissions cycle that starts and seems to finish a little earlier in the meds admissions "year".

Cheers for you insights,

Kirsteen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha, kirsteen, just because the process starts early doesn't mean it ends early. I was accepted to a US school last year in January but I didn't get accepted to my current school until two weeks before the start of orientation (off the waitlist in middle of august). If you have that dream school in mind, sometimes the process can be gruelling, much more so than the canadian app year.

oh and a big congrats to my hometown of Vancouver for winning the 2010 olympic bid! you deserve it!:smokin

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there moo,

Good point! The early beginning and ending are ideals! :D

Congrats to "your" Vancouver too!

Kirsteen

Guest Chieka

Kirsteen, the application process is pretty smooth after you submit your AMCAS app. Actually, that may be a bit of a lie. Some schools (Howard) are notoriously unorganized, sending interview invites with secondaries, or sending three secondaries to on applicant. AMCAS can get a little confused at times too. It's kind of amusing. ;)

Anyhow, applying early to American schools is good in that you'll probably get an acceptance right before the Ontario interview invites come out. It's a little reassuring, to say the least. :D

Hey, moo, yay re: Vancouver! 2010 seems so far away... that's when this year's entering PhD/MDers will graduate.

C.

Guest premed81

Hey Kirsteen,

I don't know if I've asked you this before, but what were some of the American schools you applied to?

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I've applied to a swath. A cross section of the ones that I can recall at 7am on a Sunday morning: ~9 MD/PhD programs including Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Harvard, UNC Chapel Hill, U. Penn; ~20 MD programs including the remaining Ivys, all of the New York city universities that welcome Canadian applications, U. Connecticut, UCLA, Keck, Baylor... My top picks are those schools which are strongest in both, MD and epidemiology (particularly pharmacoepi) programs, followed by those schools situated within the two places I'd rank highest as sites to live and learn medicine in the US: New York City and California.

Will you be applying to some US schools this year? (I can't read the previous threads at the moment to see if you've mentioned this before.) If so, which ones have you added to your wish list?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cause2003

Does anyone know how long it takes for AMCAS to actually look at your transcripts? I checked online and it said my transcripts have not been received. However they should have arrived by courier a week ago.

-later

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there cause 2003,

I had one set of transcripts couriered to AMCAS and it took them ~8 days to acknowledge their "received" status on their website.

By the way, I don't know if you guys noticed, but there's a new statement on the AMCAS site which states that they will begin transmitting applicant data to the medical school during the week of July 14th.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi,

It took AMCAS about 2 weeks to verify my transcripts after receiving them. I'm not sure what happens next...maybe secondaries?

Gabrielle

Guest thesaug

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about this. I sent my transcripts on July 2nd (thats when they got mailed) by regular mail. They had yet to show up as recieved on AMCAS. Yesterday I recieved a secondary application from one of the universities I applied too. Should I send another set, or should I wait a few more days???

Thanks.

Guest cause2003

I sent mine by courier on the 30th of june and they added it online on the 11th of July. So it took 8 working days (minus the july 4th holiday) to get there. Acutally I went to 2 schools and the first transcript from Kingston came 2 days earlier.

Later.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there thesaug,

I wouldn't worry too much about sending your transcripts again. If AMCAS don't receive it, they'll keep letting you know, but if you're a bit worried you can always e-mail them for confirmation.

As to the secondary--CONGRATS! May I ask, from which school did you receive it?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi thesaug,

Nope, no secondaries sent as yet, although I do have a number to complete online, that are required of all primary applicants--tch! (Is that anything more than a blatant money grab? :) )

Well done on the Washington secondary. I didn't apply there, but I hear it's a great school. Hopefully many more secondaries to come, for the both of us! ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there thesaug,

It does seem like a lengthy period of time, but at least it gives us some time to work on the other supplementaries that are due in the interim. On that note, did you happen to receive one from Baylor today? Yags, they're piling up! :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hey Kirsteen,

Nope, I didnt apply to Baylor. I just actually designated a few more schools, so supposedly, I should be getting John Hopkins secondary in the next little while. You selected that school right?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi thesaug,

Yep, Hopkins was on there but truly, I'd have to find a cool (read "safe") area of Baltimore in which to live before I'd be comfy making the move for four years. :rolleyes Have you been to Baltimore? A guy sitting in his car a couple of blocks from my residence building was shot twice and killed while I was visiting Baltimore this summer for a week. I was also told not to step outside after dark, and charmingly, was stared at for fifteen minutes on the school shuttle bus by some dude and subsequently followed home as I legged it back to residence. In total, 'twas a tad creepy.

Hopkins is also one of the schools that filters the AMCAS applications before sending out secondaries. So if we receive secondaries from Hopkins, we're onto a good thing in that regard. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen:rolleyes

Just gotta say that most of the top notch American schools are in bad areas. Hopkins is inthe ghetto, Yale is in a bad area, Wash U is in wonderful (read sarcastic) St. Louis... I think it's a tradition.

Guest premed81

Hey all,

It's been great reading this thread. I am just about to submit my AMCAS application. I'm just refining it a little and I had to cut down my list of schools because the cost was just too much. However, you guys are kinda scaring me about the idea that some of these medical schools are in bad social areas. I mean, there can't be that much crime and corruption, is there? Or am I just being naive since I've lived in Canada since I was 6 (I'm 22 now). I mean, the safety issue is really factoring in for me. How do the rest of you feel about it? I don't really have any of those top-notch schools on my list, but if anyone can tell me anything about Syracuse, Conneticut, Detroit, and North Carolina, I'd really appreciate it. (Actually, Detroit I kinda have an inkling that there may be safety issues :\ ). Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there premed81,

I don't know too much about the areas that you've mentioned, never having visited any of them, so I can't comment. Everyone's threshold for feeling safe will differ, however. Although I was a little jilted by my first impression of Baltimore, if I received an interview at Hopkins, I'd take some extra time to give Baltimore another chance and seek some areas in which I would feel more comfy if I was seriously considering/had a chance of attending their medical school.

One of the best things you can do when considering attending any school is to spend a bit of time within that area to suss it out for yourself and to talk with the locals, to help gauge whether you would be comfortable living there for four years. You could use part of your visit for the interviews, at least, for this.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived