Premed 101 Forums

new to american apps - help please!

Guest mt1

Hello! I'm filling out the course work section, and I have a couple questions:

1. when I fill out "credit hours" with 6, it automatically adds 6 supplemental hours. is this normal?

2. it says to add courses in the order that they appear on the transcript. i go to U of T, and with the half year and full year courses, the transcript is divided into two sessions. how do i order the courses?

example:

Fall:

BIO250Y1 no mark yet

GGR252F1 83%

CLA201F1 81%

Spring:

BIO250Y1 82%

CHM317S1 84%

Guest Mala2003

Hi mt1,

1) yes it's normal

2) I also go to U of T and I wrote all my completed half year courses in semester 1 and all my second term courses PLUS full year courses in semester 2. This is the way it appears on our transcripts so it makes it easier for AMCAS to verify things.

thanks! another question: about the 15 post secondary experiences. is there one way to write about them, that's better than another way? i mean, one could provide a black and white description of what they did, blah blah blah. or make it colourful, with what it meant, and how it shaped him/her. any suggestions? what do med schools prefer?

Guest Mala2003

Hi mt 1,

I'm not really sure if there is a "correct" or preferred way to write the 15 ECs. I wrote what I did, my duties etc but also (provided there's space) talked about what I learned/got out of this experience.

hello. for courses with both lab and lecture components (ex. BIO150Y, BIO250Y, CHM137Y...), are those weighted 6 semester hours, or 8 semester hours? thanks!

Guest Mala2003

I put 6 hours for all full year courses - regardless of whether there was a lab component or not. Apparently you can specify in the secondary application that certain courses had a lab component.

Archived