Premed 101 Forums

application essays edited?

Guest ikaj

Did you guys get anyone to edit your essays?

On campus, I have seen advertisements for proof reading of english essays by English Majors, I wonder if these people would be willing to look over my application essay for medicine...

I am still working on the AMCAS application....

I'm writing those 15 paragraphs for the post-secondary experience section. I am not really quite sure what they expect us to write about. Can anyone give me a hint?

thanks.:\

Guest thesaug

Hi ikaj,

Regarding editing, I had one of my friends read my essay. If you feel comfortable with friends and family, then do that, otherwise,you can pick the english major option as well.

About the 15 experiences, if I remember correctly, in the AMCAS application booklet, they give suggestions, such as awards, employment, research, sports etc. Check that out. These were the things I talked about.

thesaug

thanks thesaug. I know what topics I will write about but I don't know whether I should just describe what I did or should I write about what I learned and why this is applicable to medicine as well.

I feel kinda conceited going on and on about myself

I did this and this and this...

This was my idea...

Everybody loves me

blah, blah,blah...

ya know???

Guest Mala2003

Hi ikaj,

I kind of did a combination of both for the 15 EC list. I talked about what I did, my duties, responsibilities etc and where possible - I talked about what I learned as a result of it. I didn't necessarily talk about how this would make me a better physician but I guess it was implied. But for sections where you list any awards you've received - of course you can't talk about what you learned as a result of it. I guess it all depends on what you plan on listing as your 15 activities.

Guest thesaug

Hi ikaj,

just as Mala2003 said, it depends on the activity. For my ECs as well, I just listed what I did and what I learned. I never really talked about how one activity related to medicine...

For example, if you volunteered at Red Cross, talk about what you did there, what learned, and any other comments you have about the experience. About the awards, I just put the award name, and indicated the pool of candiates (one person out of 300), unless it was a non-competitive award (such as an entrance scholarship or deans list)...in those cases, I just put the criteria for the award.

When it comes to talking or writing about yourself, its something you will have to do, but in a tasteful way that describes you and your motivation to be a physician. When you start filling the secondaries out, you will be asked questions where you will have to describe yourself, how you have helped others, what you can contribute to next year's class...etc. So do not be afraid to write about your qualities and experiences, because the admission committees can only base their decision on what you tell them about yourself.

I hope this helps you out! Good luck!

thesaug

Archived