Premed 101 Forums

Secondaries

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Did anyone else just receive the e-mail from USC-Keck with their secondary? It does not look like a fun one. :x The library of essays needs enlargement!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thesaug

Hey everyone,

Did anyone get the Rush Medical secondary? I just got it yesterday, and was wondering if there was a way to fill it out on the computer rather than by hand.

Good luck to all of you!

thesaug

Guest Kirsteen

Hey again,

Nope on the Rush, thesaug. I didn't apply there, though. :) Maybe you should give them a shout and see if they have an electronic copy of the document that you are supposed to complete by hand?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen,

Thanks for the suggestion!

How are the secondaries going for you? Now that the verification is over, on some days, they seem to come in a bunch!!!..:eek

Take care!

thesaug

Guest Kirsteen

Hey thesaug,

The secondaries are moving along at a speedier clip now; thankfully there is lots of repetition in the essay questions for the most part, so that's hastening things. I managed to finally get my act together and submit Hopkins today and I just turned around Weill-Cornell's, which arrived by e-mail this afternoon. The latter had to be one of the simpler secondaries I've encountered, aside from that of Michigan State, which was essentially a request for a cheque! :b

Now I'm at the point of having 13 submitted, and am awaiting the arrival of 7 unscreened applications as well as (hopefully) 7 screened applications. How about you? How many down and how many to go? Have you received any secondaries from universities that screen as yet? Hopefully so!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen,

I am 9 down, and hopefully by the end of today, 11 down. Yeah the essays are becoming a bit repetitive, which is good and I love the personal info secondaries...although it makes you wonder the use of the extra money they request...:b

I just got NJMD and SUNY upstate yesterday, but I have not recieved any screened applications (to my knowledge). Hopefully those will come through. So at this point, I have around a good 14-16 secondaries still left to be recieved (i am not sure how many of those are screened and unscreened...at least 3 i think, but probably much more).

On a side note, did you fill out the Saint Louis and Albert Einstein secondary without get the email? I am wondering if I should do the same.

Good luck...soon enough we'll see that light at the end..

thesaug

Guest Kirsteen

Hey again thesaug,

Good going on getting the total up to 11 by the end of today. It's a nice feeling once they're sent off, eh? :)

On Albert Einstein, it's one of those schools where they expect you to visit their site and make a go of the secondary without their prompting. I've received an e-mail from them since submitting the secondary, acknowledging its receipt. As to Saint Louis, same deal. So yep, I'd aim for submitting four secondaries today!

On their essay questions, I don't know if you've had a peek at them yet, but Albert Einstein's is okay. Saint Louis had one question that essentially begged for a reiteration of the AMCAS statement. I obliged, but didn't find it too easy to do.

Hey, on some other notes, there are at least three schools, i.e., Harvard, UCSF, UCLA that require the applicant to log into their admissions system for updates or to complete the application online. For each of these schools, however, I can't seem to log in (Harvard) or they chronically have not received my AMCAS info (the other two), even after it was supposedly transmitted eons ago. Are you having similar problems at all, i.e., should I be concerned? :rolleyes

Bonne chance!

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen,

Thanks for the info regarding SLU and Albert Einstein. Now I will be aiming for 4!!! (shuttering just thinking about that...but u gotta do it).

Regarding your online applications, I did not apply to those three schools, but I did experience that problem with the University of Michigan for about an hour or so. They had sent me the request to log on, but it did not work. Those three schools that you mentioned, did they request you to log on to their system already? If not, maybe that is the issue. If they have, than I would call them as they will be able to help you out. Sorry I couldnt be of much more help.

Thanks a lot and good luck!

thesaug

Guest Kirsteen

Hey again thesaug,

It's a bit odd as I have been invited (via e-mail) by the three schools to check their websites. Zippo! :( I've sent a note to Harvard since there's is the most time-sensitive at this point, given that their application is waiting to be completed. No response yet, though.

On a Canadian note, to which schools will you be applying this year? Have you begun any of those essays and applications?

Good luck today,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen,

That is odd. Hopefully they will get back to you soon.

I will be applying to all the Canadian schools, except the French medical schools (due to my lack of fluency in French). I have basically completed the Toronto Essay and McMaster questions. UBC's essay and Calgary's essay still needs work. I have to start my UofA application still. Its a bit confusing though...it says that I will only have 15 minutes to complete it...i have to read there website more. What about you?

thesaug

Guest Kirsteen

Hellooo again!

(By the way, don't you find this site offers some good brain-breathing activity during this essay writing?! :P )

Wow--ALL of the Canadian schools? Even those out on the East coast? That's quite a feat--good for you! On the essays, in case you haven't yet looked at the UBC essay, its requirements and size dovetail nicely with those for UofT. I'm with you on Calgary--that one's a toughie.

On UofA, you have a limited amount of time to fill out the initial general admissions application, but soon after submission you can go on to begin the medical application. I was just on that site this morning, and there doesn't appear to be any time limit for completing the application in one session.

On this end for Canadian schools: UT, Queen's, Ottawa, Alberta, Calgary and UBC. I'll be applying to the MD/PhD programs at UBC and UT, though.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen,

About the Albert Einstien, I didnt see any essay question on it. Were you referring to the MD/PhD application?

thesaug

Guest Kirsteen

Hi thesaug,

Nope, not the MD/PhD application. If you tick off any of those boxes then you have to send in a short response explaining the situation behind the tick. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again thesaug (or anyone else living the US application process/full-time job this year),

Did you happen to receive Georgetown's secondary in the mail today? (You might be able to tell that I did. ;) ) In case you've applied but haven't seen/opened it yet, it's fairly painless; however, I'll have to make another trip to the photobooth if any more schools require any more passport-sized photos. (I figured that four would be plenty-wrongo.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

For anyone applying to Harvard, UCSF, and potentially UCLA, there appears to be a snag for us Canadian applicants who only hold a Social Insurance Number and no Social Security Number. I'd been trying to access the Harvard secondary all week this week. Thinking that they had simply sent out their secondary materials prior to uploading some applicant information, I gave it a few days without action. Finally, I called the Harvard Admissions Office and AMCAS yesterday and learned something new.

Apparently there are a few secondary applications that will be problematic for us Canadians with SINs. Harvard is one, but it looks like UCSF and UCLA are the same. To circumvent this we need to send an e-mail to AMCAS with some details (name, date of birth, AMCAS ID) to receive a temporary SSN. This will allow us to successfully log in to web pages such as Harvard's. If you have applied to any of these schools, send the e-mail to AMCAS now, as they are not the quickest in responding to e-mails these days. :x

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen,

Sorry, no Georgetown. But I have now 8 secondaries waiting to be completed!!!!:eek

I got MCO and Robert Wood on Friday, Rush before along with Syracuse. Also, on Friday, to my delight (but also groan) I was invited to fill out the Uof Illinois at Chicago application. I am pretty sure that the school screens (from their website), but I could be wrong. Either way, a lot of writing!!!...

How's it going for your applications?

Guest Kirsteen

Thesaug!

Well done on receiving a potential screened! :D Eight to do eh? Woo. Good thing it's the weekend!

On this end, I'm all caught up for now; well, until AMCAS finally gets off its bum and sends me a temporary SSN so that I can begin the Harvard application--tch!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Wow I am very surprised at all these state schools you guys are applying to. Rush didn't accept Canadians, neither did UIC when I applied two years ago... Haha, anyway, if you guys are in Chicago and need a place to crash or a fellow Canadian to show you around, just hit me up.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey thesaug,

Especially after the tainting due to a horrendous dream last night re: not getting into meds, I looked at today's e-mail inbox in horror as I saw an e-mail from Duke (who supposedly screen the AMCAS application). I received my first screened secondary! Woooo! :rollin How about you? Did you manage to get your four secondaries out the other day, and in the interim, how many more have you received?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen!

Congrats on the Duke secondary!!! I am hoping to get that school as well...for some reason though, my app has yet to be submitted to them...

I was able to finish 3 apps on the weekend, bringing it down to 5. But then I got 1 more today, Albany, so now I have 6 more to do.

My overall count is 14 (or maybe 15...im having trouble counting) complete...with 6 more to do!...

Congratulations again!!!...Let me know how it goes...and your status as well.

As a side note, have you sent your transcripts to any of the schools you have sent secondaries too??? Also, was there a delay in AMCAS sending your app to DUKE???

Take care and good luck!

thesaug

Guest Kirsteen

Hey thesaug,

Feh--I spoke too soon! I just got off the phone with Duke and although they mention the opposite on their website, this year they are not screening the initial AMCAS applications. :\ Och well, I'm still happy to get another one going.

As to the application itself, it's probably a good thing that you haven't received word yet as I've been trying to add my essay responses to their site but they appear to be having major technical difficulties. Thus far, they've sorted one out, but a few wrinkles remain. :x

That's a bit odd that your application hasn't yet been submitted, especially given that your verification preceeded mine. Wacky. Mine didn't seem to undergo any sort of delay in being transmitted to Duke. The only school to which my AMCAS application has not been sent at this point is Albert Einstein, but apparently that's not uncommon.

Right on re: the completion of those supplementaries. I really don't know what most of those essay questions look like, so hopefully there's a good bit of duplication among them. Not so for Duke, unfortunately. :( It's a bit of a gnarly secondary with ~6 short essay questions (500 characters not including spaces) and two longer essay questions (1000 characters), the latter of which asks us to address ethical and moral issues surrounding medical technologies.

On transcripts, I have only sent those from my summer courses at Hopkins and McGill, the marks within which were unavailable at the time of my AMCAS submission. Aside from that, I have not encountered any schools that have asked for the transcripts that were reflected in the AMCAS application--have you? In that regard, I was under the impression that AMCAS did the same job as OMSAS--collects and verifies the transcripts so that the individual schools don't have to.

Good luck with those remaining supplementaries!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen,

thanks for the input. Yeah i called Duke and they told me that I should be getting something soon. Yeah my app hasnt been submitted to Albert Einstein either...its ok though...have enough on my plate already!

Regarding transcripts, I checked with Albany, and they said if you want to you can...the admissions officer was not sure why it was listed as required on their website.

Good luck on the rest! Keep me posted on how you are doing!

thesaug

hey guys! i just got SUNY upstate's secondary and Jefferson's... for SUNY upstate, they ask us to check U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or international student...What do Canadian citizens do? should we write instead that we're Cdn citizens??? For Jefferson...reference letter from physics, chemistry, bio, and humanities??? i'd feel silly, asking for a letter from my professor from 5 years ago, who never even knew me! any way around this? has anyone submitted, say 3 biologies and 1 humanities? or substitute a volunteer supervisor?

about the SSN...we can just type in our SIN instead, for most schools, right? so long as they don't give us a snag in continuing the application, it's ok? thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi mt1,

I can't help you on the letters of reference too much except to say, I'd contact the medical schools and ask.

As to the SSN/SIN dilemma, most schools will allow you to enter a SIN; Harvard won't.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived