Premed 101 Forums

Dual Citizenship

Guest moetheshmoe

Guest moetheshmoe

I have dual American-Canadian citizenship since I was born Michigan, but have been living in Ontario for most of my life. When applying to US schools, would I be considered American and thus pay US tuition fees, or would I be considered an international applicant and pay international fees?

Hi,

I am in the same category as you. The way it works is that schools base your fees on your residency status. Although you may be an American citizen, if you attended Michigan State for example next year, most likely you will be charged out of state fees as you have not been living there, and therefore have not been paying taxes which contribute to the lower fees. I think though that after a year, you can apply for instate fees.

Hope this helps.

thesaug

Hi moetheshmoe,

I too am dual; I highly recommend that you put American for your citizenzship status on AMCAS. The ability to switch from out of state to in state is highly variable across medical schools. For instance I heard that U Conn will let you reduce but I am not sure about any other.

Best of luck,

g22g

Guest Sarah371

Dual citizenship lets you apply outside the quotas set for international students. Private schools cost the same whether you are in state or out of state and out of country. I am not sure about in state residency requirements .... but it is really hard to get into most state schools with out one. The one huge plus of being an American citizen is that you qualify for ferderal loans both subsidized (no interest until you finnish school) and unsubsidized (interest from when you recieve them). SARAH

Archived