Premed 101 Forums

Northwestern

Guest Mala2003

Guest Mala2003

Does anyone know how long it takes (once Northwestern's received all the information - secondaries, references etc) before we're contacted for an interview? Anywhere between 1 month to 4 months? :D

when I applied two years ago, they got my application in September, didn't get an interview till late January, interviewed in mid-February, accepted off the waitlist in August, two weeks before school started. I'm currently a second year here so feel free to ask any questions.

Guest kellyl20

Thanks Moo:

Could you please supply some info re your med school?

(1) tuition

(2) estimated food and rent

(3) GPA needed to be competitive

(4) MCAT score needed to be competitive

(5) degree needed?

(6) which visa route needed to remain to practice in US

(7) which visa route needed to do residency in US but return to Canada

(8) What does this school look for in an applicant?

(1) tuition

Expensive, about 35000 a year. Most students are on loans though.

(2) estimated food and rent

We're located in the heart of Chicago, right downtown, by Lake Michigan. I pay 900/mo for a studio. Dorm rates area about 750-800 but you must purchase a meal plan and the food sucks. Food otherwise is comparable to what you would pay in Canada.

(3) GPA needed to be competitive

Our average GPA is 3.75 or so.

(4) MCAT score needed to be competitive

An average of 11s across the board.

(5) degree needed?

? Any bachelors degree will be fine.

(6) which visa route needed to remain to practice in US

You will be issued a F1 student visa, after which you can apply for a H1b, which allows you to remain in the US after residency. (The other one, J1 is not as good... and this is the one you get if you graduate from a Canadian school and come to the US for residency)

(7) which visa route needed to do residency in US but return to Canada

I probably want to come back to Canada, depending on what I want to do, so I would get a F1 and then just come back for residency. Depending on what province you want to work in, you may be eligible for first iteration. (I know in BC that you are)

(8) What does this school look for in an applicant?

We have a diverse class. Avg age is 23 (range 20-44 when we first started last year), but if you take out the HPMEs (which are the 7 year BS/MD kids) I'd say our avg age is about 24-25 or so when we started first year. People in my class come from diverse backgrounds... many ENTs, former nurses, marathon runners (there are like five in my class), engineers, etc. Helps to have a high GPA/MCAT of course too.

Hope this helps.

Guest kellyl20

Thanks Moo!

Can you explain the HPME program to me? Can Canadians apply to this also? Is the tuition cost the same for the HPMEs?

Thanks sincerely for your info.

the HPME program is a 7 year BS/MD program that you apply to right out of high school. Canadians are eligible as there is a Canadian in my class who is in the program. NU is a very international-student friendly school... our class has students from 7 different countries and the year below us has students from 11 different countries. Typically you need a high GPA from highschool and a really good SAT or ACT score... not sure of the exact numbers... contact the med school for more details. http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu

Guest kellyl20

thanks Moo. When you were applying did you find that the tuition is approximately the same for most of the med schools in the US (or at least the ones you were thinking about).

Did you live in residence the first year your were there?

yeah, they were mostly in the 30-35000 range. Some schools like UVermont will give you in-state tuition after one year (about 10000). Columbia gives out a lot of scholarships and the Canadians I met were mostly all on scholarship. Other top schools give out scholarships like Wash U, Duke, etc.

Archived