Premed 101 Forums

2nd bachelor's degree?

Guest gurl666

Guest gurl666

I'm currently a third year science major and by the time I graduate, my overall GPA will be around ( but a few points lower) than 3.5 (based on AMCAS conversions). Since my university, and probably most other Canadian universities, don't have formal post-bac programs, I was thinking about taking a 2nd bachelor's in science to raise my undergrad GPA. I was wondering if anyone has taken this route and has any advice? It'll be about another 2 years, and I'll be taking summer courses as well . . . depending on how well I do, I could raise my GPA to 3.6 by the end. How is this looked on by adcoms?

Thanks for your help

I don't know if it's worth the time to do another bachelor's degree. If it'll take you <3 years it might be worth it, but I wouldn't start afresh. There's also no guarantee that you'll raise your GPA to a 3.6 either.

Your GPA is a little low for MD schools in the US (esp being Canadian), but have you looked at osteopathic schools? Your average is pretty close to their averages. If you want to learn more about osteopathic medicine go to http://www.aoa-net.org.

Archived