Premed 101 Forums

need help choosing schools to apply to...

Guest gianefiasco

Guest gianefiasco

i have read many people saying that you should apply to a few high ranked schools and a few lower ones to ensure an acceptance. my question is which schools are the high ranking ones? (hardest to get in to?) and which are the low ranking ones?(easiest to get into?)

Should I look through all of the schools requirements and those with lowest GPA and MCAt score cut offs are the lower ranking ones?

thanks for help in advance :)

In general, yes. Higher ranking schools can be easily spotted by going to the usnews.com website and looking at their annual rankings of med schools. Of course each school has their own criteria and just because you get into a school ranked #3 doesn't mean you'll necessarily get into a school ranked lower.

Lower tier schools are schools like NYMC, Finch, etc. They are "unranked." For more info on these schools, you should purchase the Medical School Admissions Requirements guide, published every couple years by the AAMC. In it, you will find up to date information on GPA, class size, proportion of in-state to out-of-state, tuition, etc.

Archived