Premed 101 Forums

Do U.S. schools regard the marks from Masters?

Guest anniezzang

Guest anniezzang

I'm entering the fourth year at U of T and now debating whether I should take the fifth year or just pursue master.

The reason why I am considering the fifth year is (obviously) to boost up my undergraduate GPA. I didn't do well in the first two years (quite bad) but did o.k. in the third year(around 3.75ish) and hopefully do well next year. I thought if I could bring up my marks higher than that of my third year, I don't have to take the fifth year.

So here's my question since I'm also thinking of schools in states. If they don't accept marks from masters, I have to take the fifth year. If not, I'll apply to masters.

Do U.S. schools accept master's marks?

Guest AliatUofT

Hi there

i was in the same situation as you. i did really bad in my first 2 years at UofT (2.8 and 2.1). i turned it around after my 2nd year. i did a 5th year, but thats only because i needed to do half a year, to complete my degree. my GPA's over the my last 3 years (3.68, 3.69 and 3.71).

i am also completing my MSc at UofT, however you should know that most science MSc degrees in canada are research based, ie you dont have to take many courses, for me i am in IMS and i only need to take one full credit over my MSc degree. that aint really gonna do anything for you for the american applications, because it doesnt really boost anything. I applied to a number of US schools this year and mY personal experience has been that most US schools didnt care much about my MSc degree. I did happen to talk to a counsellor from Wayne state. he asked me why i only took one course as a grad student? after i explained my situation and degree requirements, he told me that if i were to take 5 full courses at the graduate level they would substitute my grad GPA for my undergrad GPA.

so this is just something to think about when considering doing a MSc to boost your GPA

you will definitely do well in grad courses but you probably wont be taking too many so in the long term it wont do anything for your overall GPA, unless u are gonna do a course based MSc, (in which case it will definitely help you out )

hope all this helps a bit.

let me know if you need any more info

cheers

Ali

Guest Sandman AK

If they see an undergrad and a grad GPA, then why should it matter that you only took a few courses? You are not using your grad school marks to calculate your undergrad GPA. Unless this is not how they do it...

Archived