Premed 101 Forums

What schools you would recommend for me?

Guest noncestvrai

Guest noncestvrai

I believe this is a difficult question to answer but I will give a gist of my profile, if you would be kind enough to give me advice on which schools I should apply to in the US (I am waitlisted in Canada)?

B.Sc. (McGill) Undergrad GPA 3.5

M.Sc. (McGill) Grad GPA 4.00

MCAT 30 Q (8-10-12)

Published paper in J Neurosci. co-author, 2 manuscripts in prep and (9) abstracts/posters. Lots of sports, music, student gov, hospital volunteering, work in summer school, TAships in science labs, I speak French, English, some Spanish, et al.

I mean, what schools are likely to at least interview me as a Canadian citizen?

If you have personnal experience feel free to share it.

noncestvrai

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there noncestvrai,

Your statistics look good. :)

From personal experience I'd recommend that you apply to Chicago-Finch. If they offered me an interview (which they did), then I'm sure they'd do the same for you. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest noncestvrai

Hey Kirsteen,

My file pales in comparison to yours, since you will be a medical student in the coming months...hehe.

Did you get in at any schools in the US?

I reckon that you have gone through the US application cycle, can you give me some tips, ok Chicago-Finch, but did you try some other schools?

Even though I might get in this year off the waitlist, I still want to look ahead and think about my options in the States.

noncestvrai

P.S. Do you think they like Frenchies (from Canada)?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

My file is pretty weak in terms of most US schools in terms of my undergrad GPA (notably the early years). Thus, I'm sure you have a leg up on me on many more schools. :)

I was offered an interview at Chicago-Finch, but declined it after I received my Canadian school interviews. I did try at many other US schools (particularly the big guns) but got nowhere, hence the Chicago-Finch recommendation. Once again, if they'll look at me, I'm sure they'll look at you. ...and I'm sure they'd very much appreciate the diversity that a Francophone student could offer to their class. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest McCarey007

I would get one of those books that has a list of all the US schools and their average MCATs and GPAs. There are many on the market and well worth the $25-35 investment!

Guest studentz

Chicago-Finch is now the Rosalind Frankilin School of.....

just letting you know in case you start looking for it on the AMCAS app and don't find the old name

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Good point. I think they changed the name part-way through this past application cycle as Rosalind definitely wasn't involved when I initially applied this time last year. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest CHUBBY

does anyone have any information on boston school of medicine as in how competitive it is compared to other US schools in terms of GPA...

also does anyone know of how US schools evaluate graduate degrees

thanks

chubby

Guest thesaug

Hi there,

I think BU stands in the middle when in comes to GPA and competitiveness. I remember reading somewhere last summer that a GPA of around 3.5 or higher should be good enough for them.

thesaug

I dunno about that. I paid them 100 bucks for my rejection letter, even though I had interviews/acceptances from way better schools. They are known as a "safety" so they get a lot of applicants (~10000) and can be a little more selective.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ocean11

Some Schools to apply to as a Canadian:

1) NYMC (as long as you can finance tuition/Escrow)

2) Finch/Rosalin Franklin

3) George Washington University

4) Boston Univ.

5) Columbia

6) Albert Einstein

7) Northwestern

8) Creighton

9) Saint Louis University

10) Yale/Harvard (you never know....)

11) Washington Univ

12) Wisconsin/Madison Univ

etc......

Guest noncestvrai

Oh, well I am not applying to US schools...maybe for residency...hehe, since I will be attending McGill. This thread can still help others in a similar situation as I was though.

noncestvrai

Archived