Premed 101 Forums

easier for Canadians to get US than Canadian med school?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Hello! I am a Canadian citizenship. One of my friends told me it's easier to for Canadian get in US med school in general (esp. the lower tiers) than Canadian med school. Is it true?

I kninda doubt my friend, b/c here in Canada, med schools perfere Canadian citizens for admission. So, I assume it will be hard for Canadian to get in med schools in US as international students. Hope someone can validate my friend's statement.

thanx!

Guest studentz

The answer is no. Most of the "lower teir" med schools in the US are state-affiliated in one way or another, so they not only prefer, if not require, US citizenship/green card status, but also applicants from their own state.

Guest gonzo23

I think the answer is no as well... but a clarification needs to be made.

I have a friend who got rejected by all canadian schools but was accepted at 2 US schools. I think depending on a person's stats, they may be more successful in the US, but that doesn't make it easier persay to get in. This person had a 3.6 GPA which was good on US standards but didn't cut it among canadian. So depending on your stats you might have a better chance at some US schools than some canadian. But in the long run as stated US citizenship is preferred for US schools.

It depends heavily on your stats, and the schools to which you apply. If you have a GPA of around 3.5, say, but have a lot of ECs, it might cut it at Mac or UBC which tend to favor those with ECs, but it probably wouldn't cut it at many US schools. Top 30 schools are also different. I know people who applied only to top 30 schools who didn't get an interview anywhere but got multiple acceptances in Canada. Lower tier privates like Finch, NYMC, Temple might be "easier" but again, it's all relative.

Osteopathic schools are a different story altogether.

Guest smooth operater

hey Guys! Thanx for the reply!

Moo! Where can I find the admission process for Osteopathic schools? Are they the same as med schools? Is it easier since they are private schools?

thanx!

See the FAQ at the top of this forum for an explanation of osteopathic medical schools.

My opinion is that osteopathic schools will get you to where you want to go if you work hard (much like it is at any medical school). I've had several DOs teach us here at Northwestern and they are all competent, caring, well-respected doctors. Most DOs go into primary care (FP, general internal, peds, etc.) but they can all specialize.

The admissions standards to DO schools are lower (about 3.4/25 MCAT) but they look for more of the "life experiences." Again check the FAQ and the aacom website for more information.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ocean11

It is easier in the sense that there arn't 'strict' cutoffs.... US medical schools will look at the whole package, so if you get a bad score in say the verbal section of the MCAT (my case lol) they won't just cut you off. IF you have strong scores in other sections they might give you a chance (I had VERY high science scores (BS, PS) on my MCATs & a good GPA). Canadian medical schools often have strict cutoffs for EVERY section... so for example if you apply to U of T with a 4.00 and a 7 VR, 14PS, 13BS, T you will get rejected automatically for that low verbal score. In the US you could always write a letter and explain WHY you got a low verbal score (ie: English second language etc...).

HOWEVER, as a Canadian/International student you are at an immediate disadvantage... because obviously they arn't going to accept many non-US citizens... as a matter of fact only 210 international (prob mostly Canadian) students got into American allopathic med schools.... out of over 16,000 spots!!!

ONE MORE THING: There are a few US medical schools with cutoffs... for example Madison Univ or Wisconsin Univ has cutoffs on the MCAT of 8 across the board.... and check with others that you want to apply to...

Good Luck :)

Guest 15Sacha

Hi ocean11,

the statement you said about U of T is incorrect. They too look at the whole package. I gained acceptance with an extremely low verbal score and so have many others.

Attention Folks with low verbal scores: Apply to U of T rather than losing a perfect opportunity due to fear of rejection.

Sacha

p.s. sorry I just had to clarify so that premeds don't get discouraged.

Archived