Premed 101 Forums

Who's accepted and who's waitlisted?

Guest McCarey007

Guest 15Sacha

Hi there McCarey,

I am accepted at Penn State. I just paid my $100 deposit. I am waiting to hear back from the Ontario schools, so it is not definite. Are you planning on going to the US for school?

Sacha

Guest McCarey007

Congrats on the Penn State acceptance!

I got accepted to NYMC and placed my $100 depost as well. I may or may not go. Like you, I'm waiting for the Ontario schools :rolleyes

Given your choice, would you go to an Ontario med school or Penn State? I know it's a loaded question :)

Guest 15Sacha

Congrats McCarey!!!

Don't you find that securing an acceptance makes the wait a bit more bearable. I definitely feel much better knowing that I have already paid my deposit and have secured spot. However, I would much rather go to one of the ontario schools. Penn State was much better than any of the ontario schools I visited in terms of facilities, and the atmosphere. However, when it comes down to it, it is more realistic to stay in ontario (for myself). The major factor is the cost of tuition and I am not too big on leaving Canada.

However, I tend to think that things happen for a reason. Soooo...if I don't get in here, then off I go ;)

How about you? What do you think the pros and cons are?

Sacha

Guest McCarey007

I totally agree. The cost of tuition itself is way too much in the US. And cost of living in the NYC area is crazy. The pros are...I LOVE NY and that is the main reason why I applied there. And I would like to practice in the US in the future so I see my acceptance as my ticket to do just that.

But if accepted in Canada, I will save myself more than $100 000 CDN (Tuition + cost of living). Looking at that price tag, it's hard to justify studying in the US.

Guest gonzo23

Really? it sounds like you really want to go to the US!

Don't you think you'd make that extra money spent back anyway over the longterm? I only ask b/c my brother decided to do an MBA in the US and he paid an arm and a leg for it... but he doesn't regret his decision at all b/c it was an amazing educational experience and he made amazing contacts down there.

I know it sucks to think of getting yourself into more debt... but it might be worth considering if it's what you really want to do (especially if you will have the opportunity to work directly with people you might want to continue a career with in the future).

Congrats on the acceptance though! After just visiting NYC last week for the first time... I am extremely envious!!! :)

Guest medschoolboy

nyc is so lively, one of the best places to live esp for schooling. for family....i dunno, that's another story but definitely for med or uni it's awesome.

i'm also waitlisted and i kinokw for a fact that there's already been movement at my school so i just gotta wait more now.

Guest McCarey007

I guess for me, the issue is the big “unknown.” I applied late in the cycle (after the August MCAT scores were released) and I didn’t want to throw my money away by applying to the big name schools. I got average marks and average MCAT scores for most pre-med students, but great extra-curriculars. So I knew it would be tough for me to break into the better US schools. If I were accepted at Mount Sinai or Penn State, I would be more inclined to go. But NYMC just doesn’t carry as much weight.

NYMC is around 25 miles north of Grand Central Station so it really feels like suburbia up there. It takes around 35-45 mins by train to get to Grand Central from where NYMC is. I don’t know if I would reap the same benefits as someone studying med closer to Manhattan. Interestingly, over half of the clinical rotations in 3rd and 4th year are in Manhattan. Most of these rotations are in St. Vincent’s Hospital (in the Greenwich/Soho area), which was where many of the 9-11 victims were treated. They even have a wall outside the hospital devoted to all those who were missing and dead.

I’ve also been accepted into a Canadian med school now so choosing between the two is difficult. I just feel fortunate to have the luxury of choosing schools as I was not in this position last year. I have a few friends who don’t have this luxury. :\ I’m still waiting to hear back from one Ontario school.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ocean11

Hi McCarey007, I was also accepted to NYMC and as a Canadian am a little concerned about the financial aspects. Apparently we have one of two choices:

1) Pay the whole 4 years upfront

2) or pay the full year 30 days ahead of registration and Proove (via bank statements) that we have decent credit.

Anyhow, I was also accepted to FInch/Rosalin Franklin and find that school much more 'financially friendly'. They cost the same BUT you can pay in installments throughout the year.

ANYHOW, tell me what you think of NYMC, how do you plan to finance your tuition if you go there?!?!

write back... and congrats on your acceptance :)

Guest McCarey007

Ocean11,

First of all congratulations on the acceptances! Getting into any medical school in Canada or the US is a great feat.

I will not be going to NYMC and will withdraw my acceptance this week. I opted to do med school in Canada. It just makes financial sense. I didn't like how NYMC wanted foreign students including Canadians to set up the escrow account. I just don't want the headache of going to banks and trying to hammer out some sort of deal. At least studying in Canada, med students can get a line of credit for $100 000 to $150 000 with no guarantor.

NYMC is a solid US med school in my opinion. It was obvious that they were not as highly sought after as some of the top tier schools though. What attracted me most was their 3rd and 4th years rotations, with the opportunity to do most of them in Manhattan. NYMC was also my first acceptance so I will never forget that they were the first to give me that sensational rush of being accepted. In the end, it was the financial burden that turned me away from NYMC. However, if I had been accepted by MSSM, it would have been much more difficult to turn them down.

Did you get accepted into a Canadian school? What are your thoughts about NYMC and Finch?

Feel free to drop me a private message if you want.

Guest ocean11

Hello all.......

Thanks for the reply McCarey007, I've decided to go to Finch/Rosalin Franklin for next year. They were the first to accept me and although NYMC did accept me too their financial requirements for Canadian students are just too much. I even asked them if I could take out Canadian loans (exceeding tuition) and they said flat out NO it all has to be in US funds.... and paying interest on that over 4 years...... interst on $200,000 with variable rates.... FORGET IT!

Finch/Rosalin Franklin is much easier...... payment is just 3 times a year and there are more scholarship opportunities. Plus Chicago is an awsome city and I'll be doing rotations there in my 3rd and 4th years and ofcourse possibilities of doing electives back here in Toronto.

Archived