Premed 101 Forums

Aussie international student + admission to US med schools

Guest aussiechica

Guest aussiechica

Hey there!

I am wondering if any of you may be able to help me... I am a 4th year BSc specialization student at the university of Alberta but I am an Australian international student.. I'm just researching my opportunities here in Canada as well as in the USA as I really don't want to go back (I know you're probably asking why!!)

Anyways...I'd like to find out some general information on med school admissions for international students. Does anyone know much about this?

I'm sure it's more difficult than for Canadians or US citizens/green card holders but does anyone know of schools that are more likely to accept international students?

Also...does anyone know of anyone I can talk to or any resources pertaining to med school admissions in Canada and the US for international students in general? I'm struggling to find anything really helpful!

Thanks a bunch!!

-Carolyn

Hmmm tough question to answer. There are a lot of US schools that accept Internationals. My school is very open to international students. We have about 8 in our class (no Aussies though), mostly Canadians and Africans. Your best bet would be to check out the FAQ above that accept Canadians... these are the schools that are likely to be open to internationals as well, although some schools like George Washington accept only Canadians and Americans. You should also call (not email!) each school and inquire about their specific policy... A great resource to start from would be the Medical School Admissions Requirements book put out by the AAMC which lists all the US and Canadian medical schools and all their contact info with some stats on acceptances, prereqs, and curricula info. You can pick a copy of this up at amazon.com or your university bookstore.

Archived