Premed 101 Forums

GPA

Guest daryn

Guest daryn

Hi Moo (and all)

I've been reading some of the pages from studentdoctor and it SEEMS to me that their GPA requirement is a lot lower. Some girl said 3.4 was a good GPA, for example. So provided that the MCAT and the GPA is good (not 3.9999 stellar), it seems to me that we have a bigger shot in the states than we have here, provided that they accept Canadian students.

It really depends on what schools you are talking about. I think to be competitive at schools like NYMC, Finch, Drexel, Temple, etc. a GPA of 3.5 should cut it, provided your MCAT is about 30. If you're talking about osteopathic schools, a GPA of about 3.2 should suffice (with an MCAT of about 24). If you want to go to a top 30 school though, in my experience when I applied, a GPA of about 3.7-3.8 will make you competitive, although by no means is it a guarantee of an acceptance.

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Hey Moo

How does one find out the schools on this top 30 list that keeps being mentioned. I'm curious (other than the obvious Harvard, Columbia...etc).

Also, thansk for all your help and advice thus far on this board.

Cheers,

Farmer

Here's the link to the US News top 50

www.usnews.com/usnews/edu..._brief.php

Keep in mind that all accredited MD schools in the US are good and will get you to where you want to go. If you apply yourselves diligently and work hard you will get into the specialty of your choice regardless of whether you graduated from Harvard or a lesser known school like Temple or Finch. Granted, there may be some bias at prestigious places like Penn and Mass Gen and UCSF (where they seem to only like top 10 grads) but these places are hard to match into for Canadians anyway (due to visa problems).

Archived