Premed 101 Forums

Getting in off the Waitlist!!

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Hi everyone,

I'm waitlisted at my MSSM and I really really really want to go there. As a Canadian, this whole letter of intent, productivity update and LOR addendum to the application is very new and admittedly a bit strange to me. Since I just found out I am on the waitlist, I don't have much time till May 15. I'm not sure what exactly to do and how much is too much? Any tips? Moo? Anyone else?

Thanks sooo much.

-Farmer

Guest moo

I don't know how MSSM works but I would call them and inquire about this. Every school is different. Some schools want updated LORs, grades, etc. Others want letters of intent and want you to show interest. What's so special about May 15? As far as i know that is the day where you can only hold one acceptance, but you can be on as many waitlists as you like.

You can send them a letter of intent and also call them and ask if there's any movement and ask what you can do to get off the waitlist. The good thing is that waitlists will move pretty heavily after May 15, so you will probably hear something if you are proactive.

Congrats on getting waitlisted at MSSM! From what I've heard it's a great school.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Well done re: the waitlist spots, guys. :D Ironically, I just received my MSSM rejection in the post today. Woo, what a beezer day!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Thanks MOO for your input! Very helpful :P

Kirsteen - bummer about your rejection....but all I can say is that at least you did stunningly well on the Canadian app process and will likely (hopefully, I will be shocked if you don't) have your choice and bypass the waitlists with flying colours!! :D

Medschoolboy,

Congratulations on your waitlist!!!! :)

I'm hoping for the best too. What else can we do? I want to go there so badly though...we are so close..but so far! This waiting is going to kill me but of course I'd rather be in this position than rejected.

How many letters of intent did you write? I haven't written anything yet seeing as I only got my official letter today. I only knew I was on the alternate list b/c I called last week and begged for them to tell me. I was interviewed late. I'm going to send updated stuff asap.

Here's to hoping there will at least two canadians in NYC at MSSM next year!!! ;)

I hope you don't mind me asking, where are you from??? I'm from good ol Toronto.

Let me know if you hear anything and good good luck.

Any other Canadian on the waitlist or accepted at MSSM?????

-Farmer

Guest medschoolboy

the good ol Tdot....hahaha.

i'm from there too but not on mssm waitlist....sorry for the mixup. i'm on another waitlist.

i found out about my waitlist end of march and am dying to get in.....it'd be great to get in somewhere, esp knowing earlier than these canadian med schools.

i wrote 3 letters. don't know what else to do cuz there's nothing much that i can do at this point! and the waiting is killing me like u said. why do u want to go to mssm so much?!?!?! as opposed to other schools in canada? for me, the facilities were awesome. the ppl seemed nicer too (which was to my surprise, dunno why). but i guess u pay for all those awesome facilities.

Guest shudvbeenafarmer
for me, the facilities were awesome. the ppl seemed nicer too (which was to my surprise, dunno why). but i guess u pay for all those awesome facilities.

Medschoolboy: now you've confused me even more.:P Did you get into MSSM??? Which people were nicer? Because you are right, the facilities are great at MSSM, the morchand centre for clinical competence seems very innovative, and they seem to really take care of their students. The students seemed sooo happy and the faculty were wonderful. Also there is an idealism about the school that I really related to. I guess I'm one of the starry eyed wannabedocs :hat . Needless to say, I was very impressed with MSSM.

But, the real reason I want to go there so badly over the Canadian schools, is because I am fairly certain I want to go into pediatrics and specialize in adolescent medicine and their adolescent health centre is one of the top (if not the top) in in north america, under the direction of the white house fellow dr. diaz! And as for NYC -- besides having always wanted to live there for some period of my life -- is a great place to work with youth.....of course.

You are right though, I am going to owe big time money. But in my opinion, this is what money is for!!!!

So that about sums it up. Now I just have to somehow will myself a spot!!! :P I'm prayin and hopin right there with ya.

-Farmer

Guest medschoolboy

sorry for the confusing message...

i did not apply to mssm but am on a waitlist at another american school. and it was the american students that seemed nicer.

if its the centre u like so much, what about for residency? i would LOVE to go to nyc for school but i didn't get accepted to either of the schools that i applied to in nyc.

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Hi Medschoolboy,

Well good luck getting in off that waitlist! Hopefully the coming weeks will bring good news for us both! ;)

-Farmer

Guest medschoolboy

May 15 is sooo close now, i'm really anxious although i know that my chances of getting in off the waitlist is not very good. man, i just want to be accepted somewhere! ANYWHERE, as long as i get into a med school. i can't take undergrad anymore and i really am ready to move on to the next stage of my life. this post is useless but just to vent.....again.....haha.

here's to us, next year farmer!

cheers, and best of luck

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I just wanted to send a wee bit of luck over to you guys for the 15th. :) Is there any chance that they'll notify you on the Sunday, or will they wait until the weekdays roll in?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Just to warn you guys, don't get your hopes too high on May 15. A lot of waitlist movement occurs AFTER this date, well into July and August. This will make for a very exciting and interesting summer... I was pulled off the Northwestern waitlist two weeks before classes started and I was all ready to go at another school with my appartment rented and everything, and I had to pack up everything and leave (and find a way to get out of that lease). And another person in my class (Canadian too) got pulled off the waitlist two days AFTER the start of orientation! He had already paid his tuition and started at UT. So, just sit tight for the summer... there will be a lot of waitlist movement, just keep sending in updates and cross your fingers!

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

HI medschool boy,

i feel exactly the sameway!!! i'm just dying and trying somehow to get on with life. but moo is right, this is going to be a long haul of a summer, right up until the bitter end.

i read a funny post on SDN about the syndrome of waitlistitis......i think you and I have a pretty bad case.

moo - you are so right and i know it. keep telling us that!!!

kirsteen - thanks sooo much for the good wishes. unfortunately, there is definitely not going to be contact on sunday, not even monday and there is no calling to find out the status. as i understand it, there is no rhyme or reason as to when or if we will get off the list. just have to concentrate on not going insane and doing what i have to do. :eek

i don't know about you medschoolboy as i'm not sure where you are waiting for, but I know at MSSM it is confidential ranking so you have no idea where you are on the list or even if there is some sort of ranking list. they claim there isn't, but there has to be right?????? my feeling is who gets in off the waitlist depends on who withdraws, although i can't be sure.

i'm writing them letters and sending them an update and some more references and just praying. :\

what else can i do????:|

i wish canadian schools hadn't shut the door on me so tight! that way at least iw ould have some more options.

ah well.

-thanks for the continued support. here's to hoping!!!:)

--farmer

Guest medschoolboy

hey farmer (or anyone else on a US waitlist), if you get in off teh waitlist, can u post your dates here

i'll do the same

Archived