Premed 101 Forums

Graduate applications...

Guest GradApp

Guest GradApp

Hi guys,

All these posts are really useful, especially the lists of schools known to accept Canadian applicants. My specific question is whether anyone knows of schools that are favorable to graduate applicants? U of T is one of the few I know of which specifically state that undergrad GPAs can be lower for Ph.D. applicants, are there any analogous policies at U.S. universities that anyone knows of?

Thanks!

Guest moo

A graduate degree will probably boost your application. Most US schools do not release "formulas" like Canadian schools, i.e., we will add x points to your score if you have a graduate degree. However, remember that undergraduate courses still count heavily in admissions policies. This is because most graduate programs have rampant grade inflation and thus a 4.0 in a masters program does not necessarily negate a 3.0 from an undergraduate program.

Guest shudvbeenafarmer

Hi Grad App,

Having just gone through the whole US application process, my advice to you is apply early!!! You really should submit your AMCAS application within the first week of June. You have the best shot that way. I know it seems unbelievably awful since you just found out about U of T a short while ago, and to start another whole cycle likely feels like a lot to take on, but take it from me, it is a lot of money and time, and if you are going to do it: Do it right.

My two cents worth anyways....

Good luck good luck!!

-Farmer

Archived