Premed 101 Forums

hey moo!

Guest jacksonchan85

Guest jacksonchan85

hey moo,

for once, i'm not going to ask you a question about applying down to the U.S...lol

really busy with midterms the next few weeks, but since i'm taking a break right now, thought i'd say that you should be the "US Med School Moderator" for this board.. :)

I think I speak for everyone when I say THANK YOU for taking the time to answer ppl's questions re: american schools!

Thanks! I'm just imparting the knowledge that I gained over at SDN during the year that I was applying... I remember the uncertainties and excitement about starting med school in the US but am glad I came.

Guest McCarey007

Hey Moo,

I was wondering what were your reasons for studying medicine in the States?

And after you were accepted, what were some of the things you had to do? (ie apply for a student visa or green card?) Did your school help you in this?

Hmm, well where to begin? I wasn't happy with the Canadian health care system for one, but in my time in the US I've learned the US system isn't much better (or at least that's what our liberal school administration and students like to tell us). Also, location... I didn't really want to live anywhere in Canada so I didn't really bother with any schools in Canada except UBC and Calgary. Research was another big thing for me... I wanted to go to a big name research school because for me that was very important... I like research but this is obviously not for everyone.

I think I've outlined the main points... Money was an issue but I said to myself from the beginning that it shouldn't be and I didn't let it become one esp. once my parents cosigned the loans, and it turns out I am not going to be in much more debt than the avg grad from an Ontario school.

After you're accepted the school will issue you an I-20, and you just present it at the border crossing (airport or by car) and they will issue you a student visa on the spot. It's a fairly benign process.

I don't really think anyone has a definition for "first tier", "second tier," etc. If you want, you can look at the rankings by US News, but, really, I think all accredited US schools will get you to where you want to be.

Guest kellyl20

Thanks Moo. Would you know which school has a very predominate African North American med student population? I read this somewhere, but I had forgotten.

Is there a publication that gives the stats of the american schools that had accepted Canadians. I guess what I am trying to find out is what schools had never or rarely accepted Canadian, so as to not waste $.

In your opinion, what are some of the higher tier schools?

I imagine you would have some idea as you are going to school there and might have a feel for the other American med schools as well.

Would you know which school has a very predominate African North American med student population?

Meharry in TN, Howard in DC, Morehouse in GA, and Drew/UCLA in CA are the historically black colleges. However, you will not be considered "African American" unless you are a US citizen AND are of African descent.

Is there a publication that gives the stats of the american schools that had accepted Canadians. I guess what I am trying to find out is what schools had never or rarely accepted Canadian, so as to not waste $.

The best official source is the Medical School Admissions Requirements which lists all the medical schools and programs in the US and Canada. You can pick this up at amazon or at your local Chapters.

Also, check this out pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm21.showMessage?topicID=93.topic

In your opinion, what are some of the higher tier schools?

I imagine you would have some idea as you are going to school there and might have a feel for the other American med schools as well.

Like I said, I think all schools will give you a good education, but some of the bigger name obvious schools include: Harvard, Hopkins, Wash U in St. Louis, Yale, Stanford, Michigan, U Washington-Seattle, Duke, U Penn, UCSF, and Columbia.

Other schools that are "below" but still I would include in the top tier include: Vanderbilt, UCLA, Northwestern (my school), U Chicago, Baylor, Mayo, Cornell, Emory, and some others I probably forgot.

There are other schools on the US News list, but basically any school that is listed in the MSAR is considered decent and will get you to where you want to go.

Basically don't get hung up on rankings. Some people at my school (ranked around #20) chose our school over Hopkins, Columbia, Wash U, etc. because they liked the curriculum here, or the location was better (Hopkins is in a horrible area), etc. Don't let rankings dictate where you apply or decide to matriculate.

Also, how would one know which med schools in the States are the public ones?

Again, the MSAR will tell you. It also breaks down the applicant pool for each medical school, telling you how many in-state, out-of-state applied, how many in each category interviewed, and how many matriculated. If you are seriously thinking about going to school in the US, it is an invaluable resource.

It also has info on all the Canadian schools so it's a pretty good investment

Archived