Premed 101 Forums

Interview Notices have been mailed!

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

I emailed Beth on an unrelated question and got an automated reply stated that the interview notices were mailed on Jan 10th and that they were sorry for the delay

Good luck everyone!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest geekpunk

Wow, that's huge!

Even for OOP?! That's crazy, I thought it'd just be In-province students who'd be notified of invites or not just yet.

Praying to God the OOP operative MCAT cutoff didn't go up much from last year (10.5)!

Guest happy2bme

I know I thought they would have done it in two waves, but that's what the email said soooo....

I figure that winnipeg people should receive them as soon as tommorrow and OOP within a week or so depending on where people live.

I'm a little nervous as I am applying special consideration and there are no hard and fast rules for granting interviews fo us folks!

Hi,

I am an OOP applicant (Toronto) and I have just received my interview invite for Manitoba. My MCAT score was 10.75. My letter was dated January 10th.

Guest jaegwon

Ooohh. exiting. I can't wait to get off work and check my mail! My MCAT is at 11, but I'm not sure how I stack up for the GPA cutoff...could be touch and go. :o

Guest geekpunk

I'm so disappointed right now. I just received a rejection letter from Manitoba this morning. It said I "didn't meet one of their eligibility requirements at the time of application." But I'm positive I had everything!

MCAT: 33P, 10.75

aGPA: 4.1

1 Full-Year 6 credit English Course

2 Half Credits in Biochemistry, both w/ lab

I believe I am exempt from the additonal 12 credits in Humanities/Social Sciences because I'm completing a 4-year Honours B.Sc.

Canadian citizen!?!

I can't think of anything else that was a requirement.

Maybe it was the English/Biochemistry requirements?!

So disappointed, I was totally expecting an invite.

Who should I call or e-mail? :(

It is most likely something to do with the type of English you took, Manitoba is surprisingly anal about what english they accept. I would call or e-mail Beth Jennings

Guest nostalg

Manitoba is off the list for me.

Too bad. I expected this though, as I was lacking the "accepted" english credits and was about to take them when the admissions office told me indirectly that i shouldn't bother as i probably won't make the cutoffs.

At least I didn't take the courses!

hopefully the news will be more cheerful from other schools

Guest medsmurf

Hey geekpunk,

I was also very much expecting an interview with my stats and also got a letter today saying that I did not meet one of the eligibility requirements. I am very annoyed because I read that application bulletin very carefully before applying and would not have bothered spending the money on the application fee if I had any doubts about my eligibility. I emailed admissions to see what requirement I apparently did not meet :(

Guest geekpunk

medsmurf,

Yeah I e-mailed Jody Dewbury but haven't gotten a response yet.

It's definetly annoying. I thought I was in the clear all this time since I did not receive any emails from them about course equivalencies. I remember reading others' posts about receiving emails about that sort of stuff back in November.

Guest happy2bme

Sorry to hear about all the OOP craziness out there! I had to wait an extra year to apply because they didn't reconize any of my biochem classes as equivilent so had to take more.

I got some great news that I will be having 2 interviews in two seperate categories, regular and special consideration. Hopefully I can schedule them on the same weekend so I don't have to fly in twice. I didn't think I was going to make the GPA requirements for the regular category but I forgot to drop enough courses and thus raised up the GPA enough to be more competitive I guess.

So the question I have is does anyone know a friend who has had a special consideration interview?? Doesn't matter whether they were accepted or not, I'm just curious as to length and difficulty of interview style. I like to know what I am facing before I enter the lions' den.

Guest siobhansiobhan

yep, no interview....

the agpa is what did it....higher than any-one with residency requirement would need, but

shortened version:

being from good-god-gpa ontario sucks

unfair, etc.

Thank you for the first poster to mention *not* getting an interview - the space felt friendlier to share my news.

Siobhan

Guest siobhansiobhan

Yeah, my stats are even worse/better/worse than yours!

3.75, 12, and R for Rejected.

WIth grad work that didn't get assessed.

Front line social services work that didn't get assessed.

Work as a therapist working clinically, didn't......

shortened version -

still proud that I turned to sciences and figured out how to do them well.....

still upset about OOP status always being judged by higher gpa, never special status, and ontario schools don't have those categories....

I guess Winnipeg isn't for me:)

I once dated a girl there, and visited a few times, and performed on some community stages.

Blah blah blah. I need to get some ice-cream and find my real-time friends! Nothing like real-time friends.

But when it comes to the inside scoop (punny, eh?) on med admissions, and some friendly, neurotic company in the yearly cycle, nothing like the folks here!

Siobhan

Archived