Premed 101 Forums

Low GPA, low MCAT's - Any Chance?!

Guest Tyler

Hey all,

Im thinking of applying to American schools next year but im not sure if I should even bother.

My AAMC GPA is 3.33

and my MCAT is 27Q (BS 8 PS 8 VR 11)

I know that im scrapping the bottom of the academic barrell here but im hoping there would be a few schools I could try out.

Any advice?

Tyler

ps. my extra-curricular is much more impressive, but im thinking my grades will stop me at the door.

You might have a chance at some lower tier schools like NYMC and maybe even Med Col of Wisconsin but the averages at MCW are 3.7/30 and NYMC around 3.5/28. You might also want to check out Finch/Chicago Med (3.4) and maybe even George Washington. Keep in mind though that Finch draws a large proportion of its class from its MS Applied Physiology program, which is largely for people who couldn't get into med school the first try and therefore the avg GPA is lower.

You have a great chance at DO schools though, so I'd definitely check those schools out.

Guest kellyl20

Hi Moo:

Would graduating from a lower tier matter if the goal is to become a GP? Perhaps back into Canada?

Thanks for all the info you have been imparting. Am thinking you are the only one who does this, that is going to a school in the US. Thanks again.

K

Going to a lower tier school won't be as impressive as say going to Harvard but I think you'll still have a decent shot at getting back into Canada, esp. in FP. YOu might have a little difficulty with a DO degree but if you want to practice in the US that would not be a problem.

Thanks moo,

Whats FP? With a DO degree would you perform the same duties as a doctor? What are your limitations?

Where would you be working if you came up here to Canada (if you could get a job here?)?

Sorry if you answered this question a thousand times on other threds :)

Tyler

FP is family practice. THe DO degree is the professional equivalent of the MD degree in the US. You can work in all 50 states with full practice rights in any specialty (provided you have obtained board certification after completing a residency). The major differences are in DO schools you learn some manipulation and that they claim to stress a "holistic" approach, although the latter might be exxagerated. As for Canada, I believe that in some provinces you can get full practice rights. (this means jack though if you can't get into a residency in Canada.) It's best to go to forums.studentdoctor.net to ask the osteopathic people there. There are several Canadians in DO schools across the US who probably know more about the process than I do.

Archived