Premed 101 Forums

money

Guest leonardo love jen

Guest leonardo love jen

Hello! Is it true that for US school you have to show alot of money to the school upfront as a Canadian student for them to accept you?

If you don't have no saving, is it possible to get through just on student loan?

Thanks! Any response would be sincerely appreciated! Merry Christmas!

Guest thesaug

Hi,

I have had 6 interviews, and I have never been told this, nor have I shown any of the schools my bank account statements.

But just like moo said, there might be a few, but I think the number is very small.

Good luck!

Guest leonardo love jen

Thanks for the response!! I really appreciate it!! My second question is that if you have no savings, would it be possible to get through all years of med school with student loan alone?

Thanks! :D

You'll probably have to take out a bank loan. I don't come from a rich family but somehow I can afford to borrow 35k/yr, much like my American friends (they get Stafford loans though and some other low interest loans, but it's still not a deal for them).

If you plan on staying in the US you should be able to pay off your debt. Even going back to Canada, with the better exchange rate, things don't seem too bad. (tuition's about 3x that of a school in Ontario, once you factor in the exchange rate)

Well, if I had gone to some of the cheaper schools I was accepted at, after factoring in cost of living, it would've been about 40/year. As it stands now, living in downtown Chicago is extremely expensive and I fork out about 53/year.

Cost of living is a big factor. Consider this: in San Fran a small studio (about 440 sq ft) is about 1500/month. My apartment right now (540 sq ft) is about 900/month, while in Milwaukee, I could've rented a whole basement for 500/month. So if you choose to live in a smaller town, you can get away with not owing that much. Same is true if you decide to (and get into) a residency in Canada over the US. Living in Winnipeg is gonna be cheaper than living in SF for sure.

mostly through Canadian bank loans. I got some money (not a lot about 5000 USD) from the BC gov't per year. My parents also put in money that they had saved for undergrad (I was on scholarship for four years at UBC).

• 2 weeks later...

I was specifically comparing Northwestern (my current school) with Med College of Wisconsin, where tuition is 5000 less per year and COL is a lot less (ex, I was paying 500/mo for a whole basement compared to 908/mo for a small studio in downtown Chicago). I chose Northwestern over MCW for other reasons though, mainly because I really liked the school, it has a great reputation, and it was located in downtown of one of the most exciting cities in North America.

You can probably do a google search, just type in Cost of living index or something and you'll get a list of websites to find the cheapest cities to live in in NA. Incidentally, COL in Chicago is almost the same as that of Vancouver and Toronto.

Hey Moo, I see you interviewed at Medical College of Wisconsin. I'll be interviewing there next week, but in the combined MD/PhD program. Even though it is all fully funded via the PhD portion, I got a letter a couple weeks ago from the MD people saying they need proof of 4 years of funds available (ie about 250 000 US) because I'm not an American. It was a surprise to me, and when I asked about it, they said it is just in case I get booted from the PhD program for grades or something. They also will not give me a decision on my acceptance until I show the funds are available. Washington University in St. Louis is also similar.

Archived