Premed 101 Forums

Wayne State

Guest thesaug

Hi everyone,

For those of you that have applied to Wayne State, after sending in your secondary, call them within 10-15 days to check your status. On Friday, I got an interview invitation for the following Monday, which I had to reschedule. I am just wondering what would have happened had I received the invitation on the same Monday (the letter was dated September 8th).

Take care and good luck!

thesaug

Guest Mala2003

I only applied to 6 US med schools and received secondaries from all of them (some were screened). I only sent in Northwestern (after calling them 3 times to get an extension!) and Wakeforest. I want to wait for my MCAT scores which I'll know on Oct 14th, before I send out the other secondaries. Ideally, I'd like to stay in Canada. We'll see...

Good luck in your interview - go kick some ***!

• 1 month later...

No, wayne state doesn't accept 1000 students. A look at the 2000-01 MSAR shows that 3299 people applied for the entering class of 1998-99, 627 interviewed and 254 matriculated, making them have one of the largest class sizes in the country. They probably have a total of about 1000 med students in all four years though.

Guest cause2003

I got the result of my Wayne interview today and I was placed on the alternate list. Does anyone know the chances of getting of the wait list? They told me that most of the movement is in March. Man I hate waiting.

-Cause

I didnt get into my current school Northwestern until two weeks before classes started, in August. Most schools don't start accepting off the wait list till march, but most won't see a lot of movement till after May 15.

Don't worry about the visa. What the school does is if they accept you, they send you an SEVIS I-20 form. (For me it was Fedexed cuz it was so close to the start of school.) Then at the port of entry (at the airport or at some land crossing) you show the I-20, and they'll issue you your student visa (F-1) there. It's a pretty benign process.

I don't really remember... I just remember entering my grades in letter grade format (UBC uses a letter grade and percentage system) and then AMCAS automatically converted it to one of their scales.

• 1 month later...
Guest mina1w3

Hello there,

I have got an interview at Wayne State in two weeks. How was your interview there? Was it fairly relaxed? Did they ask you about the American health care system or any ethical questions?

Guest cause2003

My interview was very relaxed. The interviewer spent a lot of time talking about the school and why one should choose Wayne over other schools. As far as interviews go I thought it was pretty low stress. I had no ethical questions and no questions about the health care system in either Canada or the US. It was more of a get to know you interview.

Also, I was waitlisted a few weeks later. But I came across these stats on the american chat page (SDN).

Wayne State University Admissions

Total: 2,759 629 433 256 In state: 1,016 553 373 227

Out of state: 1,743 76 60 29 Women:1,297 299 205 120

Minorities: 743 140 93 57 International: 143 9 6 3

Acceptance rate: 15.7%

I think Canadians fall in the "out of state catagory". So 60 out of the 76 who were interviewed got in. Plus they reject people (i dont know how many) after the interview. So your looking at a greater than 79% chance of getting in. I think your in! Congrats on the interview.

-Cause

Guest cause2003

Check out this site for questions others were asked.

www.studentdoctor.net/int.../index.asp

Also, I was given a choice of date and time for my interview because I had a conflict with the date they gave me. I choose to have the interview and the student tour back to back. I know some people who interviewed early or late in the day had to sit around and wait most of the day.

Good luck

Archived