Premed 101 Forums

Lab requirements/credits

Guest threeputt

Guest threeputt

Does anyone know what exactly 8 semester hours means for science prerequisites that many US schools require? I do realize that this implies a lab component, but how many semester hours does lab count for?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a full year (6 credits) of Physics, but only one term had a lab component. Will that lab count as 2 semester hours, or do I need a full year of lab?

I hate all the Canada-US translations!

Guest jacksonchan85

I'm no expert on this..but here's my opinion...

You have the full-year in physics, and it probably just so happens that you're school did not offer a 2nd-half lab component...you can't do anything about that...it's the way the school works...

Contact the schools, explain to them that that's the sequence of courses for your school, and I'm sure they'll understand...I'm sure if there was a second lab component available you would've taken it...

good luck:p

Guest threeputt

Hey jc85. Thanks for your opinion. I will call the schools and explain my situation, hopefully all will be good. But here is my exact situation (from UBC):

For my degree requirements, I only had to take PHYS101 (3cr, which has lab) in first yr cuz I had Physics12 in hs, while many others took PHYS 100 (equivalent to Physics 12) and 101 (total 6 cr, with lab). I could've also taken PHYS102 (3cr, with lab), but wasn't really into Physics :eek . Only later on, when I decided I wanted to apply for med, I took PHYS330 (3cr, no lab) to satisfy a full yr of Physics for some Canadian Meds (and it's been fine for Canada). Anyways, it's kinda strange how sometimes you get punished for being ambitious in hs.

That's my story, can anyone shed more light on the situation?

Guest jeffsimz

I took physics in first year. It was a full year course with labs throughout the year. It was fine for the American schools that required physics. I can't really be sure about your situation since you only had the one semester of lab. Best bet is to contact the schools.

Jeff

Guest jacksonchan85

Alternatively you could just play it down about the fact you're missing that extra half in labs..

your transcript will show 2 half courses in physics(which is what they want, right?)

most schools would prolly just assume that there's a lab associated with most sci courses, in which case you'd be safe...

best of luck

Technically Phys 330 should not count toward prereqs because it's not a basic general physics course.

I had a similar predicament when I was applying to American schools two years ago. Except it was the old Biol 120/Bi12 requirement. I only had 3 credits of Bio (which was good enough for UBC med), and I was a math/physics major so I had to take Biol 200 with the lab even though I really didn't want to.

I'd call the schools and explain it to them, but chances are you will need to take Phys 102 or whatever the course is these days.

Also some schools like the Med Col of Wisconsin will make you take 8 CREDITS of the science courses even if the Canadian course is 6 credits with the lab. Most schools aren't like this, however.

Guest threeputt

Thanks, Moo. That's too bad about having to take BIOL 200. So you called schools and asked specifically about the requirement? I assume though, that you had your 3cr from BIOL 120, while most schools probably want a full year, right? Hopefully, I can eek through it, cause I'm working now and taking a PHYS course will really throw me off...

As is usually the case, I'd better call the schools!

Yeah, most schools wanted the full year. I only applied to UBC and Calgary for Canadian schools so I don't know what would've happened with those schools that required a full year. (Calgary didn't require prereqs if I remember correctly.) Also, with Med Col of Wisconsin, they wanted 8 credits each of bio, and phys and 16 for chem. I was covered with phys and chem (they counted biochem) but not for bio, so I had to take Biol 334 (genetics) to satisfy that school... it was worth it cuz it was my first acceptance.

Archived