Premed 101 Forums

Question for MD/PhD applicants

Guest dddd

I posted a similar Q on sdn but got no response, and was hoping someone here could help out.

What is the 'normal' dress code (male) for these two or three day long sessions (interview + meet researchers + go to clinical areas + dinners + meet other students + tour campus etc). I just can't picture running around in a suit the whole time, especially since part of it includes touring labs etc?

Thanks for any insight.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

How about bringing the suit and shirts along for the interview sessions and then bringing a good dose of business casual for the remainder of the activities? For the business casual, you might want to tote along some low-maintenance clothing, e.g., knits that don't need ironing. For the non-interview activities, as long as you are presentable, you should be fine. After all, it's not New York fashion week that you're attending. ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

I'm not MD/PhD or anything, but here's my go at it. Definitely suit for all interviews. For informal dinners (getting to know you dinners), tours, business casual is the way to go. Dress shoes, slacks, knit shirt/dress shirt (no tie), and a sport jacket will take you far. You can always ditch the sport jacket on arrival at the dinner if you need to. For the labs, you're on your own, but I'm sure business casual would work out fine there too! :)

Ian

I guess I'm just a little unsure about the whole process, ie I believe you'll go in to the University early in the morning from the hotel for a full day of activities, including both the interviews and the casual stuff. So I'm not sure if you'de have an opportunity to change/bring a change of clothes etc.

Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

If it bugs you a little bit and you'd like to be able to make some better plans, why don't you call the Admissions Office and ask for an itinerary or schedule of events for the day? I'm sure they will have one, which they'll probably be more than happy to provide.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived