Premed 101 Forums

OOP with Interview?

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Can anyone who got an interview from the OOP post their stats. Actually, those who didn't get an interview post their stats too.

I just want to see what kind of stats are needed for OOP this year to get an interview.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As mentioned on another thread, six criteria are evaluated to produce an interview invitation at Calgary. As far as I am aware, each of these criteria were weighted equally (in previous years). Therefore, it may be misleading for you to read solely the academic statistics of those who have received interview invitations as successful out-of-province applicants may have gained just as many points from the non-academic as the academic components of their applications.

Furthermore, with respect to the academic components, although the UofC assessors, in the past, have assigned points based on your MCAT subtest scores, they did not seem to make the course-based academic assessment based solely on the GPA.

In total, what you might want to think about is what you're trying to answer, i.e., what is needed for an out-of-province interview invitation. This may not be best answered by the response to the question you've asked. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest gonzo23

I agree Kirsteen,

Does Calgary have a feedback policy similar to UBC? Are they willing to provide any application feedback for unsuccessful applicants? Of all the schools I figured it would be the one I'd have a chance at since the only component that is weak is one section of the MCAT for me (although I'm starting to think that maybe there's more I'm not seeing :S).

Cheers.

Guest bluesky99

Hi there-

I interviewed, but was unsuccessful last year and Calgary did provide written feedback (after I requested it). However, they don't comment on your references or interview as both are considered confidential appraisals. In my case they pointed out my biggest area of weakness...which unfortunately I was already well aware of!

I agree with bluesky99 in that when I interviewed at UC two years ago and then was rejected, I had to specifically ask for the reasons and Adele was nice enough to take a look at my applicant file and gave me some pointers on what I could improve on but no comment was made about the references or the actual interview itself.

Guest Lactic Folly

Hmm, but if you had poor references wouldn't you get rejected before interview? Or is it a chance for you to compensate with an exceptional interview?

I would think that if you had poor references, you would probably get rejected flat out before the interviews but then again uc says they look on the applicant holistically so who knows how they determine the invitations for interviews. It's definitely a 'mysterious' process :P

Archived