Premed 101 Forums

How much time for research during MD program?

Guest chenzy

Guest chenzy

Hi All,

I am wondering how much time one may have to do part-time research while enrolled in the MD program at the U of C. AHFMR has a part-time fellowship program for those who have a PhD to do research while doing the MD program. The minimum research requirement is an equivalent of one day per week. It seems to me that holding a part-time fellowship to do research in a specialty that I am interested in would greatly enhance my competitiveness for that residency, however, it may hurt my grades. Does anyone on this board have any experience/heard of anyone in this program? I would greatly appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

Guest Lorae

Hiya.

I don't have any experience with that specific program. I'd say that 1 day a week wouldn't be impossible, but time management would be key (ie. the "day" would have to be flexible, sometimes on the weekend, and often 2 half days). We do get a fair number of half days off per week (3, but sometimes clinical or physical exam sessions are scheduled in).

I know some people do lots of shadowing (probably equivalent to 1 day per week at times). There are others who still have jobs.

Plus, during second year, there is some protected time for research (or clinical work) set aside.

Hope that helps

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I know of at least one person in our class who is currently part of that program and they are conducting research within their clinical and scientific fields of interest. As far as I can tell, the scheduling around this research program seems to be quite flexible, but undoubtedly, this would depend, in large part, on the attitude of the Principle Investigator with whom the student is working. In any case, I think our classmate is happy they've taken on this opportunity, and if nothing else, it is helping fund their way through the first part of medical school.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived