Premed 101 Forums

Rural MB Health Mentorship Program - Clinical Experience

Guest NRC boy

Guest NRC boy

I thought I would start this tread to promote this program to any pre-med students interested in gaining clinical experience. The program is still in its late stages of development but everything seems to be in place. The website is http://www.healthmentormb.ca Any information you need regarding the program can be found on the website, if anyone has any further questions please feel free to ask.

I highly reccomend this program to everyone. A lot of the things these guys saw we won't even get to see until 3rd or 4th year, and even into residency. Doesn't hurt to learn some of the lingo and get into the atmosphere early, as well as test the waters to see if medicine really is for you. The interview panel will also really like it if you did something like this to get first hand experience and genuinely found medicine really is for you for yourself.

Guest Jeesing

I was a participant in this program and I really enjoyed it. The doctors let us see alot of things and took time to answer lots of questions i had. All the staff were also very nice and accomodating to us.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NRC boy

The dates for the info seminar have been changed and the room is now confirmed. Also, after my meeting with Wayne Heide from the Office of Rural and Northern Health it has been decided that applicants will have to go through an interview process. I apologize for this however it was the only way we could select potential interns without relying on GPA and MCAT scores (we'll let med school do that) I guarantee that the interview will be as stress free as possible and will not be too similar to the actual med interview. We won't ask you why you want to be a doctor, or why u of m, or any situational questions. It will be a brief 25 to 35 minute interview focusing on your experiences and things of that nature. Good luck to all of you who apply.

• 1 month later...
Guest NRC boy

Alrighty, last reminder regarding this program. Information seminar will be held this Monday, January 16th, Room 3M61 from 5 to 6pm. Wayne Heide from the ORNH will be there as well as Beth Jennings from the U of M. There could be possibily some other U of M Med faculty members attending but I'm not too sure. I believe the room I booked is too small to fit everyone so I suggest if you want to sit in on this come a bit early and claim your spot. If those of you who come, I'll see you soon. :hat

Archived