Premed 101 Forums

File Reviews an option?

Guest Jerika81

Guest Jerika81

Hey all, sorry I accidentally moved this thread to the housing section of the forum when I was trying to move another thread. Here's is a copy of the whole thread.

happy2bme

(5/17/05 10:34 am)

Reply File Reviews an option?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the past Calgary has provided some type of file review to unsuccessful candidates.

Does anyone know if we can request any info on how our interviewers perceived us, ie comments vs. scoring. I'm looking for more of a general sense of my interview, ie: seemed confident/nervous/insane... rather than a score.

Would Adele be the person to approach this with? And if so, when would all the application/interview info be turfed...ie Aug or Sept?

Of course getting accepted of the waitlist would be ultimate, but with 123 on it and not knowing if you are number 2 or 122 leads one to face the more probable reality of not being in the class of 2008.....And super 7 isn't being kind to me either! LOL

medsmurf

(5/17/05 10:54 am)

Reply Re: File Reviews an option?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey happy2bme,

I am waitlisted as well and I'm finding it very frustrating not knowing whether I'm at the top of the waitlist or at the bottom.

I thought my interview went quite well so I am curious to see my file review.

medsmurf

Edited by: medsmurf at: 5/17/05 10:55 am

Scarlett

(5/17/05 12:01 pm)

I sympathize with you guys! I too am waitlisted and thought my chances were pretty good at getting in...I have tried to put it out of my mind but I would definitely like to know what part of my application was weak. I thought my interview went really well, though looking back on it they were so nice it would have been hard for it not to have gone well...hmmmm...I wish I had some idea of where I was on the list!!!

The next best thing would be an idea of how the waitlist moves...I have heard mixed messages about that and I realize that it varies from year to year...Also is it 123 total or just in-prov? Cause I read that all 85 OOP were put on the waitlist so if it was including both it would be a little bit more comforting...

What is it about this whole process that makes everyone so neurotic???? My guess would be the interminable waiting and the fact that most people who have put in this much effort to do the MCAT/apply/etc. really want it!

Anyway, just had to vent...if anyone hears of any more waitlist info please keep everyone posted! Also if you can answer my question about the number of in-prov in the waitlist that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Scarlett

happy2bme

(5/17/05 12:16 pm)

123 is for JUST inprovs, they only rejected a few inprov outright this year the rest were put on the waiting list just in case they got 25 extra seats to fill. The 25 seats extra is extremely remote, think 649 odds, that it'll happen this year.

There are another additional 85 people on the OOP list

Scarlett

(5/17/05 1:00 pm)

Groan.....I was hoping it included OOP!

Oh well....there really isn't anything that we can do (unfortunately...if they asked me to sing and dance for a spot I would!!).

Let me know if you find anything out about the file reviews and I'll do the same - right now I have to get back to work on my thesis...

Thanks!

Scarlett

MDmmmsure

(5/17/05 2:23 pm)

Reply Sucks...

Yeah....I got waitlisted too...and like many, I thought I had a good shot here......I've basically accepted the fact that there is a good chance I won't get off the waitlist (since there are 123 on... no sense in trying to guess where I am).... I was also waitlisted at Saskatchewan as well......I'm now waiting for UofA (number 1 choice).........however, I have already started to study for the MCAT as well (29Q last year....too much partying, not enough study....not this year) just in case my UofA dosen't come through for me What worries me the most is I honestly thought my best chance was at Calgary (felt I had a strong interview, 3.95/4.0 best two years, lots of volunteer, work, and research experience)...hopefully a high GPA will be able to overcome the bad MCAT at UofA!!!! However, I'm not betting on it at this point......

Guest 0nsp

Hey guys,

what is super helpful is filling out an access to information form, available here: www.ucalgary.ca/archives/...tform.html .

Just say that you would like all information pertaining to your applicatoin for medical school admissions for Sept 2005. They send you an exact photocopy of everything in your file, including all scores, comments, etc. Best part is, it's free!!

Guest happy2bme

Onsp,

Have you used this option with the U of C before? If so ,was the information, in your opinion, worth getting?

I wish that either they would have told us a waitlist # or at least a quartile like some schools do. Anyone know the reason for nondisclosure of where a person is on the waitlist??

Guest Jerika81

I don't think any school in Canada will tell you your exact # on their waitlist, although some do have "good" and "bad" waitlists.

The thing is, telling you your # could actually make things worse although it may not seem like it right now (and I know how it feels to be waitlisted). Say U of C told you that you were #14 on the waitlist, would that really help? Then you'd be thinking you had a pretty good chance of getting in because usually the waitlist goes down further than that, but what if this year it didn't? Then you would have built your hopes way up and you'd be even more upset if you didn't get in. The other problem is that if you knew you were #14 then you'd be really motivated to convince 14 other people that U of C was not the right school for them (not saying anyone would actually do this but it is entirely possible, especially on an anonymous forum like this one).

I know being waitlisted is probably the toughest part of this whole process, and my advice is to try and convince yourself that your not going to get in. The best way to do this (in my experience) is to tell all the 1 million people that keep asking you if you got in that you didn't. Then if you do manage to get in in the end it will be a nice surprise for you and everyone else, but you won't have wasted a summer stressed out and waiting. And also if you tell all those people that you didn't get in then you won't have to deal with them asking you about it every single week (or day even):)

Guest Scarlett

Jerika,

I think that is good advice about the waitlist and I am trying my best to follow it...

I was wondering, however, if you knew how many people have gotten in off the waitlist in the last few years. I realize that it varies year to year, I'm just curious how much it has moved in the past.

Thanks!

Scarlett

Guest Jerika81

I think it's usually around 45 people but of course it varies quite a bit for unknown reasons year to year, and I don't know what proportion of that is in province vs out of province.

I think it's also already been mentioned that U of C's waitlist hasn't been moving as much in the last couple of years, but they also have no idea what will happen this year with the new cut-offs for OOPs.

Guest 0nsp

Hey Happy,

Yes, I got my file sent to me last year after I didn't get an interview. I found it helpful in that I could see the scores on each section (work experience, essay, references, volunteer, academics), so that I knew which sections needed more work. They also send you the reference letters, so if you didn't see them before they were sent out, you can have a look and see if you would use the same person as a reference again. Since it is free, and they mail it to you within 2 weeks of your request, I would definitely go for it.

Archived